Chapter 2 - Tom Nook

The sun beat down on me on that beautiful autumn afternoon as I triumphantly walked towards my house, still giddy from the letter That I received in the mail

The sun beat down on me on that beautiful autumn afternoon as I triumphantly walked towards my house, still giddy from the letter That I received in the mail. My dreams are finally going to come true! In exactly ten days from now, I would venture off into the big city to meet a friend that I haven't seen in a while. Redd moved out of Animal Village when he was a teenager and I haven't seen him since, but now I'm going to meet him in order to fulfill my dreams. In the letter he sent me, he said that he is launching a business in selling all kinds of products. I can already feel the bells in the palms of my hands.

I couldn't help but tell Sable everything. Nothing can describe how I feel about her right now.

When I told her about the letter she seemed, uneasy. I know, she wants me to be safe and to not get hurt, but I think everything will be just fine. I understand her concerns of the city, but Redd will always be Redd. Average Redd. She's probably over exaggerating and I understand her feelings, but I would like to reassure her anyways. Once I finish this, everything will be set in stone for Sable and I.

I decided to postpone my return back home in an attempt to find Mr. Resetti. Mr. Resetti always has a ton of valuable ore underground that he gives me to sell to towns folk. He doesn't need them, so he just gives them to me. I took out my shovel and went over to the rock that I go to everyday. With my shovel, I hit it once, twice...

"WHAAAAAAAAATT!!!?" Mr. Resetti popped out from underground and was furious.

"What makes you think that you can just go around hitting rocks? You're giving me a headache!" he said while waving his pickaxe in my face.

"Hey Mr. Resetti," I said trying not to laugh. " have you got anything for me today?"

He calmed down, "Oh... it's you. Ya I got som'n for ya. Just wait right there." He dug back down and I just sat on top of the rock. Pretty soon, he came back with three red transparent stones that glistened in the summer sun. "I got myself some rubies here... you can have 'em. He handed them to me.

I held one up to my eye, "maybe I can sell some in the city."

"The city?" He asked, "why would you be headed there?"

"I'm going there for business," I told him. "Im starting up a company with an old friend"

"Ah... the big city... I use to live there you know. Whoever knew that I would end up here."

"Really?"

"Yes it's true... but let me tell you, the city is a scary place"

"How do you mean?" I said nervously.

"I mean it's scary! Most people who go into the city never come back. At least not as the same person they were once before."

"hm..."

"But you have nothing to worry about Nook. You have a good head on your shoulders, and nothing can spoil it if you don't let it." He picked up his pickaxe, "I have to go now, but I'll talk to you later."

"Wait." I said. "have you found any of those diamonds that I asked for yet?"

"Not yet, but I feel like Im getting close. I'll let you know when I find some. Now SCRAM!

Then he dove into the darkness of the hole and disappeared.

I sat there, contemplating on what Mr. Resetti told me about the city. The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me, so I just decided to forget it. From then on, I continued my walk back to my house. I looked at the clock that was on the town hall and realized that it was already 4:30pm. I had to get started on the agreement letter for Redd. I began to jog towards my house. It was a small house, with just enough room for me. I pulled out a chair, brought it over to my desk and began to fill out the forms for the agreement. At the bottom of the form was a blank space for my signature. I filled it in, and I was finished.

I strolled over to the town hall to have it mailed. I grabbed the cold brass knob, opened the door and stepped inside. "Phyllis?" I said as I walked up to the desk. "Why are you here? It's not even 8:00 yet.

"Unfortunately, Pelly is sick today so I have to take both shifts," she said in annoyance. "Now hurry up and tell me what you want before you get on my bad side!"

"I would like to mail this letter"

"Then what are you waiting for? Give it to me (and don't try selling me anything because I'll slug ya)!"

I handed the envelope to her and quickly stepped out of the building. I had made the decision. I was going to the city, and now only time was in between me and my dreams. 

----- Author's Note -----

If you enjoyed the chapter, please support it by voting!