Surprise

As Matt rushed towards his friends and hosts, he could feel the immediate change in atmosphere that had been created by the revealing of Deathstroke's partners. He could hear the way Damian's heart had almost come to a complete stop and the way he tensed. Bruce's stance also tensed and Dick let out a very audible gasp. They were all familiar and surprised by the appearance of the new players.

Judging by weight and the way the two people moved, there was one woman and one young man. Both seemed to be extremely skilled fighters as well.

Just as Matt reached the door that led to the hall where the action was, he heard Bruce speak. "Why are you here Talia? The League of Assassins doesn't deal with Deathstroke and I thought we had a deal."

The woman, Talia, spoke, "I said that I would leave you boys as well as my son alone. I am, my goal is not to harm them. If they get hurt, it's their fault. The reason why we are even facing each other today is entirely your fault. I know you received our warning at your friend's apartment."

"You know I can't give up this case. Everything I've been working on riding on its success. If I fail, all these years as a vigilante will have been for nothing. And what about you Jason? You know how important this work is! Why are you working with them!? I know you hate and resent me, but this is not the way to go about getting back at me. You want the Joker to pay, what I'm doing will make him pay. He won't hurt anyone ever again."

Matt was shocked, Jason was the name of Bruce's son, but he had died years ago. But then again, anything was possible in Gotham. 'Was it the same Jason? If it was, why would he attack his surrogate father?'

"That's a lie and you know it!" cried the young man, Jason. His voice sounded angry and venomous. He had experienced much pain even though he was still quite young. "Your damn (Blasphemy) case won't do jackshit! You don't have what it takes to get the job done! Never have, never will! I do though, that's why I'm here! The League of Assassins brought me back with the pit! I woke up to a world where I had died and you had done absolutely nothing! I trusted you! The League brought me back and opened my eyes! I will help them help the world to open their eyes to the failure that is Batman and they will help me take down the Joker! You will never save Gotham, you won't do what's necessary! I will!"

Jason charged at Bruce. The sound of bullets filled the air. Matt felt fear grip him. Memories flooded in, the shot, the blood, the overwhelming sounds. Matt's chest tightened. Air grew scarce. Matt leaned against a wall for support. He was so close. Just through the doors that were just a few feet away his friends were in danger. They needed his help. But the guns! But friends! Matt stood, stuck in a cycle of his paralyzing fear and heroic natures conflicting

So Matt stood, and stood, and stood. Until a sharp cry abruptly forced him out of his trance.

"Mother!" The cry had said and it had come from little Damian, his voice fearful and choked by tears.

"Damian! No!" That was Dick, preoccupied with dodging his brother's bullets and unable to come to the aid of his youngest brother.

"Mother please!" It sounded like Damian was-was being held in the air, against a wall. There was some sharp object (a knife?) being pressed against his throat. Damian was in danger. He needed his help. Matt stood tall, rushed the door, and silently hid himself in the shadows. His aid would only be beneficial with the element of surprise. Matt's gunshot wound was still healing and he was not in peak physical condition.

'Mother? Damian's mother? But his mother was some mystery woman. Was this Talia person, the mystery woman?'

"Talia put him down." That was Bruce. "You don't want to do this."

"There are more important things than what I want." Talia said.

Slade spoke from behind Batman, who had released him in his effort to save his son. "Yes. Now Batman, you know my morals are strong. But what you are doing could ruin me. Right now, stopping you takes precedence. Now you are going to drop your weapon. Nightwing too. You are going to let me go and find your friend. Do not worry, he is a good man, he will feel nothing. No fear. No pain."

A conflicted Bruce spoke. "Why? Why do you all care so much about him?"

"Your friend knows tha—" Slade started, only to stop, wobble a bit, and collapse in a heap. A single billy club lay next to his head.