4 - Jealous Guy

It was the opening night of Henley Hall's stage production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. The Dead Poets were all huddled up in a single washroom, styling their hair, fixing their jackets, ready to woo the girls who would also be attending the play. 

Charlie, flashing his signature smirk, ripped open his shirt to reveal what was supposed to be "an Indian warrior symbol for virility". 

"Makes me feel potent," he added. "like it can drive girls crazy." 

Knoxious, stop lazing around on that window ledge and start staring at my tattoo!

But Knox only gave it a mere glance before turning away again. 

Goddammit. Charlie huffed.

---

On their way to Mr. Keating's car, the Dead Poets spotted Chris standing in the middle of the school's entrance hall, looking solemn. She donned a dark green coat speckled with snow, white ankle socks, and black pumps. 

"C-Chris," stammered Knox. He bounded towards her. "Chris, you can't be in here. If they catch you, we're both gonna be in big trouble."

Chris frowned. "Oh, but it's fine-"

"Shh, shh." Knox led her outside. 

Charlie hurried to a window and watched them. 

"Oh, but it's fine for you to come barging into my school and make a complete fool out of me?" Chris snapped. 

"I didn't mean to make a fool out of you," said Knox. 

"Well, you did. Chet found out, and it took everything I could do to keep him from coming out here and killing you. Knox, you have got to stop this stuff!"

"I can't, Chris. I love you."

Charlie rolled his eyes. Jesus Christ.

"Knox, you say that over and over. You don't - you don't even know me!"

Suddenly, Mr. Keating yelled from the driver's seat of his station wagon, "Will you be joining us, Mr. Overstreet?" 

"Go ahead, Captain, I'll walk," was the swift reply. 

Chris sighed. "Knox, Knox, it just so happens that I could care less about you."

"Then you wouldn't be here warning me about Chet."

She shook her head and wove past him. "I have to go. I'll be late for the play."

"Are you going with him?" 

"Chet? To a play?" The blonde giggled. "Are you kidding?" 

"Then come with me."

"Knox, you are so infuriating!"

"Come on, Chris, just give me one chance. If you don't like me after tonight, I'll stay away forever."

"Uh-huh," Chris spoke with a sarcastic edge to her voice. 

"I promise," Knox held up his left hand. "Dead Poets' Honor. You come with me tonight, and then, if you don't want to see me again, I swear, I'll bow out."

"You know what would happen if Chet found out?" 

"He won't know anything. We'll sit in the back and sneak away as soon as it's over."

"And I suppose you promise that this would be the end of it..."

Knox nodded. "Dead Poets' Honor." 

"What is that?"

"...My word." 

A tiny smile crept on Chris's face. "You are so infuriating!"

Knox wrapped his arm around her shoulder, and together, under the light snowfall, they made their way to Henley Hall's grand auditorium. 

And all the while, Charlie watched. His blood was boiling with jealousy.

Goddammit, Knoxious.