Ahsoka patted the Tach's head and it gave a small growl before going on it's own path. Rex took his blasters from out of his pockets. He spun them on his fingers, stopping when they landed in his palms. He smiled and began to inspect the DC-17 pistols. Ahsoka took a step forward, looking over Rex's shoulder at the guns. She had always seen Rex use them in battle but here they looked quite harmless. Ahsoka knew better than to believe that though.

"Here" Rex muttered, handing Ahsoka one of the hand blasters.

"Really?" Ahsoka questioned confused, "I don't wanna break it or-"

"It's fine" Rex interrupted, "Plus I have a spare"

Ashoka hesitated before taking the blaster. She'd never fought with anything other than her light sabers. This was going to take some getting used to. She weighed it in one hand, moving the blaster in her palm up and down. It was heavy, heavier than her light sabers.

"Hold it like this" Rex said, showing an example with the other gun.

Ahsoka mimicked his form and where his fingers were. Rex shook his head and grinned. He stepped over to her and moved her finger up a little.

"Like having to teach a shiny" he smirked.

Ashoka sent a half glare half playful look in his direction. Rex put his hands up playing dumb. Ahsoka knew he wasn't as innocent as he seemed.

"But teaching them isn't that bad" Rex recovered rubbing his neck.

Ahsoka laughed and aimed the blaster at a nearby tree. She fired and completely missed. Rex crossed his arms and paid close attention as she shot three more times, missing those as well.

"Your stance is sloppy," he complained.

He walked behind her and started to fix her position. He pulled her shoulders back, tipped her chin up and helped her to the side a little. Ahsoka's cheeks went pink and she held back a slight grin. When he finished he crossed his arms again and watched as Ahsoka missed every time she fired the hand gun. Ahsoka growled in frustration and shook her head.

"Looks like we're gonna have to go all the way back to the basics" Rex declared, running a hand over his short blonde hair.

"I suppose" Ahsoka replied, "Doesn't seem like I'm improving at all"

"You've only had the blaster for a couple minutes" Rex pointed out, "Maybe not even that"

Ahsoka dropped her shoulders and fell back into her relaxed form. Rex led her through the woods to a clearing with a stump in the middle.

"Sit" Rex commanded pointing to the stump.

"Yes sir, Captain" Ahsoka said sarcastically.

A small smile spread across Rex's face and he looked pleased. Then Rex suddenly remembered the ship, his brothers, the clones, Jesse. His stomach twisted into knots and his heart sank like a stone. He remembered teaching a new batch of rookies all not that long ago. Before Order 66 and all the chaos that came with it. All his friends, family were now with the empire. They had turned to the dark side. Leaving him the odd one out. Teaching Ahsoka was going to bring back some painful memories. But Rex knew he had to do it. For Ahsoka.

"Rex?" Ahsoka said, breaking him out of his trance, "You okay?"

Rex nodded quickly, "Fine, now let's get started"

He began to explain the importance of the blaster. He continued to show Ahsoka the stances, as well as telling her about the different types of guns. Ahsoka seemed to be genuinely interested. She nodded along and repeated facts to show she was listening. Rex liked being able to share his knowledge with someone. It seemed fresh, new, in a way. But also old, nostalgic, like a path he had been down before.