Chapter 8

"I'm fine, quit freaking out." you frowned as Ami continued to complain. It had been a hard couple of weeks. It took you awhile to get past the events of that day. Before, every time you looked at her you saw your hands covered in blood. Several weeks flew by and you felt like maybe you were starting to feel like yourself again. Like Yamamoto requested, you left the academy and became a full fledged reaper. You were still technically in training though. You were a member of the Fourth Squad Barracks. You knew they were healers, but Yamamoto thought Unohana would be the best teacher. And she wasn't the only one either. You were scheduled to train with all the Captains. Unohana was more like a compass to help with your anxiety.

The first day you trained was by far the worst. You could barely lift your sword. You would remember the fear that coursed through your body when the hollow attacked. Or you saw Ami's bleeding form on the ground. It was rough, but slowly, surely, with each day, you could wield your sword again. You learned a lot from the Captains, but you expected no less. You still hadn't managed to control your Shikai though, but you were making progress. You just wished you could get pass the guilt of hurting your friend. Ami smacked you over the head when she saw you spacing out looking at the ground. "I-Itai!" you cried rubbing your head. "If you make that face again I'll beat the shit out of you." she threatened. You lowered your hands looking down.

"I don't blame you (Y/N). For anything. You were scared, I knew that and I still tried to get close. Even when Toshiro warned me. I take responsibility for what happened that day. If I had gotten to you this never would have happened. You told me about the hollow and I didn't do a thing, I-I couldn't even feel it. I felt so useless. " you could see her begin to tear up. She rubbed her face hurriedly before they could spill, covering it with a smile.

"Let's just move on. I'm okay. You're a hero (Y/N), whether you acknowledge it or not. " you smiled. "Some hero I am, I turned you into a shishkabob." she laughed out loud. "T-Thats a good one!" she continued laughing until she started coughing, holding her stomach. "S-Shit, I laughed too hard. " you laughed patting her back. "Baka." you mumbled. She raised with a silly grin.

~~

"How's it going (Y/N)-chan?" you looked over at Hanataro. "I'm fine." you assured. He wiped the sweat from his brow taking a seat on the bed. "I have no idea how you do it. You've been going for hours and you aren't exhausted." you shook your head at him, still healing your patient. You were overjoyed when Unohana said she would teach you healing kidos. After what happened to Ami, you didn't want to take any chances. When you finished healing the guy before you, you smiled. He raised with a grunt, stretching a few times before he walked out. You frowned. Hanataro gave a soft laugh. "You should be used to it by now. " You shook your head. "He could have at least said thank you. " The members of squad 11 were always in the med bay. After they messed themselves up they would come in and get assistance then just walk out without a word. It pissed you off. The door opened again and you looked over when you noticed the guy that walked in this time. His bald head was a dead give away. He had bruises and cuts all over his arms. You smiled. After the incident, Ikkaku became a regular. When everything was resolved he apologized for what he had said to you. At least you thought it was an apology. He grumbled something and when you asked him to repeat he flushed and ran off yelling incoherently. You just shook it off. When you started off here he came one day. You were surprised when he walked in. You could tell from the look on his face that he hadn't expected to see you either. At first it was kind of awkward, he didn't say anything the entire time you healed him. But when you were done and he turned to leave, he thanked you. You thought you imagined it. From what you heard the guy was an unpleasant hot head.

His visits became more regular though. You'd give him a smile and he'd just take a seat as you healed him. It was always the same. You'd heal him and he would say thanks. Today seemed like the same. Hanataro looked like he was going to tend to him but you told him that you could do it. The blue haired boy smiled thankfully, taking off to get something to eat. You sat in comfortable silence as the green glow emitted from your hands. Ikkaku had his hands folded as he just sat still, eyes closed. You studied his features. You weren't blind. He was handsome, with bulging muscles to back it up. When Ami first described him, for some reason an image of an old bald guy sprung to mind. When you met him though, you realized just how attractive he was. Even with a bald head. You chuckled to yourself and Ikkaku cracked an eye open. "Something funny?" his question caught you off guard. You blinked. From the fierce look in his eyes you could tell he was probably waiting for a snide comment about his head from you.

"It's nothing, you're just very attractive." you stated. Ikkaku fell off the bed, cheeks flushed.

"W-What the hell are y-you saying!?" he exclaimed you just looked at him.

Ami had often said you were a straightforward person. She claimed that's what she liked about you. You always spoke your mind. In this situation however, maybe it was the wrong way to go. It must have sounded pretty creepy to him. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." you pulled back your hands, shifting on your feet. Ikkaku stood but his cheeks were still slightly red. He huffed. "Whatever, I-I wasn't uncomfortable." you tilted your head.

"That's good. " you spoke. He sat back on the bed and you continued healing him.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" he fell back again and this time he looked at you with a glare.

"W-What's with you!" he demanded. He stood pointing at you in annoyance.

"I just asked if-

"I heard what you asked!!" you smiled. "Why are you yelling. We're both adults. No need to be so shy." he growled. "I'm not shy!!" he fired. You walked closer, leaning into his personal space.

"You're cute when you blush. I misjudged you. I thought you were nothing but a fight craving psycho." He snarled at you backing away. "D-Don't call me cute! I'm the 3rd Seat of Squad 11. Feared by many!" you listened as he continued to rant. You flashstepped, reappearing right before him. You hands pressed into the door behind him as you trapped him against the door.

"That's good to know. So from my earlier question, by your reaction I'd take it you're single." you flirted. His face looked like it was covered in red. He stuttered. "Great...so I got a shot." you whispered leaning in. He started to panic. Ikkaku ducked from under your hands, sliding the door aggressively as he bolted out the door. You watched a trail of smoke follow him down the hall. Hanataro coughed, just coming back from his little break. "Was that Madarame-san?" he asked. You nodded. "Yeah, guess he had something urgent to take care of." you said nonchalantly. You turned back with a satisfied grin. You were looking forward to his future visits.

~~

"I can't believe you made a move on him and he ran off. That's priceless! I wish I was there to see." you giggled. "He was so adorable. It's basically the first conversation we've had." Ami grinned. "You better be careful he doesn't file a report about you sexually harrassing him. " you flushed. "I-I wasn't!" you defended. "He's strong, he could have easily taken me out. Then again, I know binding kidos." Ami gave you a weird look. "W-What?" she shook her head. "I just had no idea you were into that stuff." you blushed. "S-Shut up!! At least I have the guts to admit how I feel about a guy." She stammered. "I-I....that's different!!" you nodded. "Sure it is."