Chapter 1

All your life you dreamed of it. Your number one goal was to become a soul reaper. You were still in the academy. And you were good but not great. You grow up struggling like much of the other kids in the Rukongai. At first you wanted to escape that life, so you joined the academy. But when you saw a reaper for the first time taking down a hollow. You knew then. That's what you wanted to do. You wanted to protect people. You wanted to save lives, like the way that reaper saved your life. You wanted to be great.

It was a full day. You just got done and you were heading back to your home. You hadn't graduated from the academy yet, you still had a few years to go. But you didn't care. You knew you'd get there someday. That's why you kept training, pushing. You would become great. You just knew it. However, nothing could prepare you for the events of that day. It would be one you would never forget, that was for sure.

~

(Y/N)-chan come on. You've been training all day, take a rest." one of your friends called. Ami, a pretty blond that you had known since you were a kid. She knew how much you always strived to achieve your goals, so she made it her mission that you didn't physically die in the process. She always accused you of overworking. You adjusted the red tie at your waist, straightening your red and white robe's. "I'm gonna go for a little longer. " you said, rubbing the sweat from your brow. She sighed. "Such an overachiever." she giggled. You laughed as she waved. "Don't overwork yourself, you might miss meeting the Head Captain tomorrow. " you nodded. I wouldn't dream of it!" you called back. You watched as her figure slowly faded away in the dark. You turned back to the tree. You raised your blade.

"Now let's try this again." you said with a grin.

All your years of training you finally got a zampaktou. You were overjoyed. The zampkatou was like the signature that you were a reaper. You sword defined you. Your blade looked like any other. You loved it, but as much as you tried you felt like you weren't as connected to it. You heard stories of students who achieved bankai before they even left the academy. Toshiro Hitsugaya was the youngest reaper to hold the position of captain and has achieved bankai too. You did so much research on a lot of the members at the Gotei 13. Plus, people talked. You loved hearing the stories of all those amazing individuals. You wanted to be one of them.

"How can I do that if I don't even unlock your talents." you said to your sword. You knew it was stupid, taking to your sword. But you were starting to run out of hope.

"Reaper." you flinched, eyes looking at the back of you. When you turned there was nothing there. You raised an eyebrow. "I could have sworn that I..maybe I'm just training too hard." you yawned, deciding it was probably best to finally turn in for the night. The more rest you got the better you could continue your training tomorrow. You sheath your blade, turning in the direction of your house.

You were completely obvious to the pair of eyes that stared at you from afar. "Interesting, this will be a good meal."

~The Next Day~

"Ami-chan wake up!!" she groaned as you pulled and tugged at her. "Come on the Head Captain is coming today!!" you dragged her out of bed, rushing her to get ready. The entire time she moved but her eyes were still closed. You sweatdropped when you saw her moving around as normal but her eyes were shut. "What the...is this normal?"She looked like a zombie, but you didn't question it. You were just happy she was awake. She continued on for a few minutes and in no time you were rushing out the door. The both of you ran off giggling into the air. "You're so pushy!" she whined. "I just don't wanna miss this. It's the first time I'd be meeting him and I don't want to miss the opportunity. You grinned flastepping. "H-Hey no fair!!" she did the same trying to keep up with you.