21 | Rose Gold and Champagne

Gigi was covered in rose gold for the birthday gala

A dress designed for dancing, the shiny silk bodice was layered with Prajan lace, a skirt shorter than a normal evening gown with a hemline just a tad under her knee. But its focal point was the single strap draped around the shoulders with a faux flower attached to it; the same material used for the delicate floral petals scattered all over the skirt.

Her hair, styled into whimsical curls and braided halfway for the volume. An ornate hair comb was added for a final touch, letting out a few loose strands to frame her face. Somewhere between casual and formal, she was ready for a summer night party.

Cal looked like a superstar in a champagne suit and a striped navy blue bow tie she had put together for him. Black looked magnificent on him, but a touch of earthy colours freshened his looks, matching his eyes, and she was still downing his beauty as a kiss unexpectedly landed on her cheek.

They had become more open with expressing affection lately.

"Beautiful."

Giggling, she grinned up at him. "I'd love to return that but I wouldn't want to smudge my lipstick on you. You're a superstar, Sire."

"And you are the supernova who created this ensemble. I've never felt so amazing in a suit," he offered her his arm. "Ready to meet my real friends?"

The grand ballroom looked vastly different from how it was on the Prajan-Angletonian banquet. A group of singers and musicians performed on a stage, next to a flock of dancers clad in costumes. Varieties of food and beverages were served on every corner, while guests were seen dancing or chattering together.

There were no announcements for their arrival, as Cal had proposed, there should be no proprieties tonight. They're off to have a good time with friends.

"Cal!" A tall, blond man waved at them. Gigi recognized him from their wedding as Cal's cousin, Philippe Beaufort-DeVauquelin. His father came from a branch of the DeVauquelin family, a cousin to the late Empress Estelle. Whilst his mother was Emperor Callisto's younger sister, Princess Marlene.

As a child, Cal wanted so badly to have a sibling, but his parents were having infertility issues; and then Philippe was born. He'd been acting his pseudo-brother ever since.

"Happy birthday!" Philippe was tall and sturdy—just like Cal was—and while they didn't exactly look like each other, especially with Philippe's striking honey blonde hair; there was something about them that felt oddly similar. Perhaps it was the colour of their eyes.

"Are you here with Aunt and Oncle?"

"They'll be arriving later, you know they don't like having fun," Philippe rolled his eyes playfully, turning to Gigi. "Allo, Gianita! You've become quite a sensation lately.

"It's been tough," she said good-humouredly. "How are you, Philippe?"

"Mind-blown by your dress! Can I see it?"