XXXVI.

How we doing people? What's your favorite part of the book so far? Anything with Julian and his knives will always make smile. How about you?

Enjoy another chapter!

XOXO

-L

We need to find a better way to donate to charities

I tugged at the collar restricting my neck and checked my watch. It had only been three hours and I was ready to haul my ass out of there.

I wasn't lying to Rosaline when I told her that I wished she was here to shield me. I've been getting too many stares– whether it's lust, greed for power, or disgust. I would much rather be at home cooking with my Flower.

I surveyed the grand room. People were talking and dancing in their formal attire, writing checks for the children's cancer organization we were fundraising for. There were a lot of people I recognized, some who partnered with our company and some I wished I could kick off the premises.

I identified faces that were on Angelo's files, laughing freely as they drank from the bar. Xavier and Maria were being swarmed by different CEOs and politicians eager to be a part of our inner circle.

But they never would be– not when their asses were going to land in jail soon.

"Alert, can anyone read me? We got a situation." I heard John's voice through the communicator, his voice urgent.

I glanced at Maria and Xavier, who continued talking to the guests. I saw a slight stiffness in Maria's shoulders while Xavier calmly searched for me. We locked eyes and I nodded.

"I can read you. What's happening, John?" I asked casually, maintaining my composure in case I was being watched.

"Rosaline's identified some of Lorenzo's men. They're at the west entrance downstairs. She thinks they are the shooters."

Damn it to hell. A wave of fear and fury rolled through me.

"Identify." I gritted out.

"Four men, wearing black suits and red vests. Small logo on the left side of their jackets."

I looked down from the second floor vantage point that gave me a bird's-eye view of the event, analyzing the crowd before spotting them.

"It looks like a red triangle. I can't read the logo."

"I've seen that logo before. It's another security agency and military-based. The organization is very secretive and independent. It's not surprising if they were hired as extra security for another guest," Jasmine replied.

I saw her heading their direction, having dismissed her admirers. "I'll get a read on them. Damon, come down here with me. Xavier, I am going to try to find who they are protecting tonight."