V.

I know this is a bit short, but the next chapter is longer. Promise!

I scowled watching Rosaline leave for the backroom once again

I scowled watching Rosaline leave for the backroom once again. The muscles in my body tensed knowing she was out of my sight, even if it was for a few minutes.

All night, I had been watching Rosaline work and making sure no other men surrounded her.

Even though I was convincing myself that it was just Xavier's orders and I was protecting a civilian, I couldn't stop watching her.

As she washed tables, carefully served drinks, and stumbled with trays, my eyes were glued to her form. From her body language and movements, I could tell she was a bit clumsy but somehow had a graceful and delicate quality to her.

I understood exactly what Maria meant about the magnetic pull toward Rosaline. She radiated an innocence and purity that was oddly refreshing.

Her petite form gave her a sense of vulnerability that brought out a sense of protectiveness and awe in me.

Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one who felt it. Women had thrown jealous looks her way and multitudes of men were eyeing her lustfully.

I clenched my fists tightly as I remembered the inappropriate comments and looks men sent her way as she was serving them. The only things stopping me from pummeling them were the confused look on Rosaline's face and Maria's presence by her side the whole shift.

I checked my watch and saw that it was close to two in the morning. The crowd was beginning to diminish as groups and couples drunkenly left for the night. I glared at a group watching me in fear, before quickly leaving the establishment.

My large and menacing appearance didn't help, especially with the constant scowl on my face. But I didn't care. Most people wouldn't want to be close to me if they knew what I could do.

"There you are!"

I looked down and saw Maria smiling up at me.

"Maria," I nodded my head before my eyes scoured the room to see if Rosaline was back by herself.

"She's still in the back room. And will you stop glaring at that poor girl? She looks like she's about to cry." Maria cut off my search.

I blinked and found myself staring at a trembling blonde woman. Rolling my eyes, I did a quick wave of apology before turning back to a smirking Maria.

"What?" I grunted. Maria scoffed at my tone.

"Don't you grunt at me," Maria's smile widened and pointed accusingly at me. "Did someone catch a little crush?"

I grunted again, to her annoyance, and laid back against the wall that I had been standing by the last couple of hours.

I knew my lack of answer wouldn't settle well with Maria. She never let anything go until she was satisfied with the results, something she had done since high school. Maria waved her finger in my face.

"Don't you dare get all moody and silent with me! It's all right to have feelings for another person. Who knows, she might do you some good– maybe for all of us." Maria stated as she rested her elbows on the counter next to us.

I didn't respond. Her words would only bring something unrealistic. Something that I was too afraid to even consider or even think about.

Maria shook her head at me and began to turn around. Her shift had just ended and it wouldn't be a surprise if Xavier was hunting her down right now.

"By the way," she shouted over her shoulder. "She's crashing in the backroom with no ride. Heard she lives on the other side of the city and it isn't safe for her to walk home by herself."

My body stilled at the new knowledge. Before I could control myself, the words spewed out of my mouth.

"I can take her home," I told her and I swore I sensed Maria's smile grow even with her back facing me.

"Meet me out the back. I'll go get her." Maria said as she walked back to the break room.

I clenched my fists and shook my head at my actions.

What the hell am I doing?

One word about Rosaline and I was volunteering like an eager high-school boy. I needed to pull my shit together.

I wasn't stupid enough to deny my attraction to Rosaline.

I remembered how my heartbeat sped up as she thanked me, her eyes not showing any fear but gratitude and awe as she took in my form. She gave me a warm smile, which shocked me. It was something I rarely received from the public eye.

Most people would have been afraid and intimidated. But she wasn't. I could already tell she was different from any other person I had ever met.

I was attracted to her the moment I laid my eyes on her. I wanted to know more about her, to see her perspective of the world, and protect her from the dark side of it.

But that was the problem.

I wasn't good for someone like Rosaline. She seemed ignorant to the darkness around her, only seeing it through rose-colored glasses. She didn't deserve to know the meaning of pain and suffering.

My job entailed nothing but that. It would only lead to many problems if I let her in.

No, I refuse to ruin someone as pure as Rosaline.

I walked to the exit broodingly, ignoring the excitement brewing in my gut.

Pick her up, drop her off, and leave her alone.

Why did those thoughts leave a bitter taste in my mouth?