XXII.

I reloaded my gun and placed it into my holster

I reloaded my gun and placed it into my holster. My thoughts were muddled together from the revelations of moments ago.

I knew without a doubt that the woman on the screen was Rosaline. Even with the screen unfocused and digitalized, I recognized her anywhere, the bracelet being the fucking cherry on top. I walked out of the entrance and rushed towards my car.

Things weren't adding up and I needed to find Rosaline now.

I was unlocking my car when I heard Maria shout after me.

"Damon, stop! We contacted Josh and they're on their way back. Their transportation is already at the building." Maria called. Xavier trailed behind her.

I faced the couple quickly.

"What's their ETA?" I asked frantically as I ran a hand through my hair.

"About fifteen minutes– maybe ten, depending on how fast their driver goes," Xavier shrugged and patted me on the shoulder. "It's going to be fine. She'll be safe and we'll find our answers. Innocent until proven guilty, right?"

I gave him a grateful look. Most people would've immediately pointed the blame on Rosaline, but Xavier knew there was more to the story. His willingness to give Rosaline a chance was all I could ask for at the moment. Maria gave me a quick side hug to share her support as well.

Marco and Tom came outside with firm expressions, rapidly talking on their earpieces. Spotting us, they moved toward us quickly.

"There was an explosion at Rosaline's apartment complex. Julian received minor injuries from the impact." Marco said darkly.

I froze as Xavier cursed. Maria gasped and grabbed Marco's hand.

"Marco, help Maria get the doctor prepped in the nurse wing. Tom, I need you to tighten up security and send a team to the apartment. Lock the gates and wait for their car to get in. I don't want anybody coming in or out of the property until further notice." Xavier ordered.

Marco and Tom nodded before following their orders. Maria left with Marco to talk with the doctor. I mindlessly began to follow Tom to the gates when Xavier tried to grab me.

"Get out of my way, Xavier," I grunted. "Rosaline could be in shock right now and I need to help her."

"Having that murderous look on your face isn't going to help anyone. I'm sure that will really calm her down. Cool the fuck down and maybe you can wait at the gate," Xavier barked.

I glared at him and he returned it.

I didn't have time for this. The news was creating a strong reaction, causing an inferno in my chest. It didn't help that I was already tense. It was almost difficult to breathe and my body was shaking. I took a few harsh deep breaths and closed my eyes to calm down. I sat on the steps.

"I've never felt this way before. It's not anger or rage, it's–"

"Terror. You're fucking terrified," Xavier interrupted. "It's not something you can describe until you experience it."