Chapter 54

It was one thing to make plans about how to defend a siege but living through it was entirely different. As Mira dragged me with her to the ground, I wondered about just how many deaths I could stomach.

"We have to save them. Our people. Your people!" Mira kept chanting trying to snap me out of my shock.

Outside the palace walls, a battle cry rose. Our troops from the outskirts had arrived.

"They'll be slaughtered." I sobbed, "these are Deskans. We are no match for them physically."

"So you want to give up?" She questioned, never breaking our run.

I shook my head.

"Think of something." She said.

Dominic where are you...

Our numbers were low, besides that Nish had taken down our eyes and ears.

"You said it yourself. We just need to buy more time. Help is on its way. Think of something!"

Buy more time...buy more time...buy more time....

"What if I lure them away from the castle?" I muttered. "Instead of the battle arena I could-"

"Not good enough. Keep thinking. We're almost there." She said as we ran down the stair case.

Before I could think of anything else, the palace shook with another explosion. This time, it came from the ground. We rushed downstairs and for the first time I cursed the castle for being huge.

Upon reaching Mira dragged me to where the spies had gathered.

"They're trying to poke a hole in our south wall." Dahar grimaced.

"How will they get past the fire?" Someone asked as we caught our breath.

"They won't. They'll wait. We need to get out there." Dahar frowned, "otherwise our troops outside are done for."

"They'll kill everyone...." I whispered.

"From what direction?" came the next question.

"We can go out from the east side and attack them from behind." Mira suggested, "while on the roof, our scouts noted that most of their numbers were concentrated towards south and west. I'm sure we can take a few out."

"How can we kill them...they're incredibly fast and strong...not to mention their venom." someone pointed out.

"Their entire force isn't made up of Deskans." Dahar informed, "they lead the charge but they're few in number. Besides, they're not the only ones with tricks."

"Soldiers will man the south and east walls while the spies go out from the eastern gate." I muttered, "Dahar go with them."

He gave a quick bow and extended his right palm. A thick black whip flew out of his sleeve, it uncoiled making a swoosh sound. I watched in awe and he smiled.

"Laced with poison." He assured, "kills with one touch. Oh and I'm immune to it."

Despite the situation, I shook my head and chuckled. Dahar and his secrets.

"Come back safe. Bring my spies back safe." I whispered.

"Permission to stay with her highness ?" Mira asked Dahar, her twin daggers glinting.

Why?

"Permission granted." He nodded, "keep her safe."

I noticed all the spies had unique weapons. One had small bottles in each hand while another was counting their darts. Perhaps there was hope after all. If they could manage to sneak up on the Deskans, we had a real shot at winning.