Chapter Thirty-Five

"You'll have to stop eventually, little Mae," the voice cooed, I ran down the hall as fast as I could, but it was never enough and it never would be, "...you'll never get away."
I let out an ear splintering scream, "Nooooo! Don't hurt me!" I screamed just as his nasty arms wrapped around me.
"No can do, Mae, I can't help it, I'm me," his words were breathy, I screamed causing him to flinch slightly. His check cracked, and light skinned through.
I'm dreaming, I thought to myself, it's just a dream. Only a dream.

I sat up straight, breathing heavily and covered in a cool sweat. My heart was currently imprinting itself into my ribcage as I scanned the dark room. Shadows flashed everywhere, I trembled with fear, I couldn't see Chloe. She'd went to sleep on the love seat that was new in my room, and now I couldn't find her in the mass of blankets.

I checked the clock, 1:30 a.m.. Great, up at one in the frickin morning. I stood slowly, making my way across the room to the love seat, where I began to see Chloe. I blinked a couple times, I'm so going insane. Nightmares and hallucinations.

I knew I wouldn't be falling asleep anytime soon, so I headed to the bathroom and hopped in the shower, hoping it wouldn't wake anyone. I wasn't in the mood to deal with people right now, I really only wanted to see Colt, because the nightmares were getting worse, and I actually remembered this one. It was too early for that though.

I washed quickly for the second time, before hopping out and getting dressed. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, only to find little purple half moons under my eyes, which looked exhausted.

I sighed, perfect, now both Colt and Chloe would be worried today. I went to grab foundation from my drawer, only to see a shadow flash past the window behind the drawn curtains. I froze, before getting my butt into gear and crawling out of the bathroom and into my room to wake Chloe. Did I really want to get my friend involved with this though? Whatever 'this' was.

I stood still for a moment, watching the windows, trying to gauge where the person was hiding.

"Chloe," I whispered, "Chloe, wake up."

She didn't move, only began to snore softly. Maybe it was just a bird, I was on the second floor. But that wasn't a bird shadow. It had looked human...

"Chloe," I still felt the need to wake her, "Chloe, come on, wakeup."

I took a tiny step closer to Chloe, trying to push away the feeling of being watched. What was going on? My ears seemed to prick, I heard a door squeak open. My eyes wide, I raced to Chloe's side and hopped onto the coach and under the blanket with her. She woke up immediately.

"Ali...?" She mumbled.

"Shhhh," I shushed her, throwing the blanket over our head and keeping my ears open.

Even if I couldn't see her, I knew Chloe had her eyes on me. Our arms were wrapped around each other, as we both took in our surroundings with just our ears. I could hear footsteps trying to be quiet on the marble of the stairs. Then nothing. My mums room was about where they'd disappeared, so it was either my mum or someone visiting my mum.

I sat up, taking the blankets with me. Chloe stood too.

"What're you doing?" She whisper-yells.

"I'm going to go see what's going on," I whispered.

"I swear, you've stolen my bravado," she fidgeted, something she rarely did.

"Stay here, alright? I'm gonna go check on my mum."

She stayed quiet, though I knew she wanted so badly to stop me. The only thing she didn't do was stay put. Chloe followed me out of my room and now the two of us were inching our way across the hall to my mothers room.