Epilogue

"Remember, your assignments are due on Friday," Mrs. Choi reminded us as we began packing up our things. "And tomorrow we're taking a field trip, so wear comfortable shoes."

I placed my sketch pad and paints into my backpack and headed out the door with the rest of the students.

"I swear she looked at me when she made that comment about shoes," Danielle said, falling into step beside me.

I glanced down at her wedged sandals. "She has a point," I teased.

As soon as we stepped out of the front doors, I was reminded of just how loud the city was. I'd been in New York for almost a month and I still wasn't used to the noise.

"Beauty is pain," Danielle said dramatically, flicking her faux-locs over her shoulder. "Are you going to the apartment?"

"Later," I said, heading in the opposite direction of students housing. "I have something to do first."

"I know what that's code for."

I playfully rolled my eyes. "Head out of the gutter. I'll see you later."

I headed off campus to a small coffee shop on the corner. The bell above the door rang as I walked in. Contemporary pop music played over head, background music for the few patrons.

The guy behind the counter was so focused on wiping down the coffee maker that he barely looked up at me when he asked what I wanted to order.

"Caramel mocha latte, no whip," I said, pulling out my wallet. "And maybe I can get your phone number?"

He finally looked up. The smile on his face made his golden eyes crinkle at the sides. "I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate that. She can get insanely jealous."

"Really?"

"Oh, yeah," he nodded before stealing a quick kiss before his manager saw us.

"I thought your shift would be over by now," I said, taking a seat at the counter.

He glanced at the clock on the wall to the left. "Six more minutes."

"I must've walked faster than I thought."

"Couldn't wait to see me?" he smirked.

"Maybe," I teased. "Now, get me my coffee."

I watched him effortlessly work the machine. It was a huge difference from the clumsy mess he was when he first started. Honestly, I didn't think he'd make it past that first week.

He slid my order across the counter to me and added one of their delicious scones. I gave him the money for my stuff, just as the next shift worker came in.

That had been our routine since he started working at the cafe. We lucked out on the living situation when we found out Gia's aunt lived in the same area.

As tempted as I was to take up Gia's offer to stay at her aunt's place, I chose to stay in the dorms. Nolan and I decided that playing house for an entire summer would be too much, too soon.

Our arrangement worked out fine, though. I got to make a friend before starting school at UCLA in the fall and I had a separate place to crash when that new friend brought one of her many suitors up to the room.

Now, Nolan dug into the pocket of his black jeans. "Do me a favor?" He said.

Before I could ask what, he took my hand, slipping a cool piece of metal over one of my paint stained fingers.

I choked on my latte. "What—"

He chuckled, kissing the back if my hand. "Relax. The chain broke. I just need you to keep it safe."

Upon second glance I realized it was his mom's ring, the one she proposed to his dad with.

It wasn't that I didn't love Nolan, or that I couldn't see us going down that path—marriage, kids, the whole white picket fence package—but I was a little relieved that this wasn't a proposal.

"So, I'm just your human jewelry box?" I said, staring down at the ring as if I'd lose it if I looked away.

"Exactly," he smirked as he reclaimed my hand, lacing our fingers together.

"I think there's a jewelry repair shop back that way," I said, pointing over my shoulder. "We can go there now."

"I can wait," he said, easily.

I bit back a smile. I had a feeling it'd be a while before he asked for the ring back, if he ever did. The ring was like a silent promise of a future I looked forward to.

I was proud to wear it. Proud to be someone he would trust with something so important to him. I thought my love for Nolan Chambers was at full capacity, but it was a never-ending stream. Every day I discovered something new to love about him.

If that's what the rest of the summer would be like—the rest of my life even—I couldn't wait.

//

Again, thank you for supporting this story!

I had so much fun writing about Jade and Nolan

& I hope you had fun reading about them <3