Chapter XI

??/??/??

Somewhere in the darkness, a cat was meowing.

The woman lifted her head just slightly from its current position - hunched over on a desk, staring at a brightly lit monitor that wouldn't do its job and write down her words for her. She needed at least ten paragraphs by the next morning, and this stupid cat was messing it all up.

She sighed and stood up from the cold ivory chair, stretching muscles that had grown cramped from staying in the same position for so long. "Alright, feline," she muttered. "What do you want?"

The meowing persisted.

The woman forced her legs to move out the door and down the hall, past the line of cells filled with prisoners, some new, some who had been there for quite a while. One girl who had been there so long she was all but insane stared at the woman, practically foaming at the mouth as she snarled at her. A feral, animal snarl.

The woman moved on. Years of experience had taught her to ignore these things.

She could see the cat's glowing blue fur from ten feet away. "Why hello, Marina," she murmured. "Aren't you a persistent little thing."

Marina glowered at her with deep green eyes, arching her skinny back and flattening her ears. She hissed.

"I didn't spend so much money on technology so you could bother me while I'm doing my work," she hissed back. "Now speak to me. I know you can."

Marina's face suddenly contorted into a look of almost human-like amusement. Well, I wanted to act like a cat for once, like I used to. Plus, it's fun to make you angry.

You are a cat, the woman countered.

Not anymore, Marina shot back. I don't know what I am anymore. You made me into a monster.

I made you into something more than a cat. More cunning that a cat, stronger that a cat. A soldier, a partner.

You made me into something else, all right, Marina told her, eyes glittering. And someday it might just backfire on you.

The woman stepped forward, her stance deadly. You do realize a can kill you with a thought? Being a Tele is useful like that. She reached out mentally and gave Marina a little shove, just to show her who was in charge.

The cat had the audacity to nonchalantly lick a paw and draw it over one ear.

"Never mind," the woman said out loud. "I created you for a reason. Do you job."

Marina looked at her with low-lidded eyes, then turned around and strolled down the cells, her tail held high. She paused in front of one, gave it a sniff, and morphed into a blue blur as she slipped through the door.

The woman sighed, wondering if it had been a good idea to give the arrogant feline the ability to walk through walls.

She then turned and started to head back to her own room. Back to staring at an empty monitor that would become a letter she could send to her superiors. Ten paragraphs would be worth it, if it persuaded them to go on with her mission. She had to convince them. The man - Fred - had given her some useful information, but it was his mother that would be the real key.