01

Kayla Reign Paxton

"Kay, you feel like staying an extra hour?" My manager asked. I looked at him and playfully rolled my eyes as I threw my bag on my shoulder.

"Boy, I ain't even feel like coming today." I laughed at him.

"So you just gonna leave me here with these people and you know I don't fuck with them?" He joked.

"I swore Jackie was your bestie." I joked back as he straight faced me.

"I'm gonna get her funky ass fired, watch." He said.

"Oh shit, what's going on?" I asked as I looked outside, seeing a group of people starting to
form. 

"The nigga with the highlighter green west Philly hoodie started an argument with one of them dudes when you were in the back." He informed me.

"Them niggas always out there doing something." I sucked my teeth. "I'll see you tomorrow though."

I started to walk outside, but my manager pulled me back as soon as a fight broke out.

"Don't go out there." He said. "I'll get you an Uber."

"It's fine, I can get on the bus." I said.

"No, I'm getting you an Uber." He said as he pulled his phone out. "Go sit down."

Five minutes after the fight was over, the street started to clear up.

"Your Uber is here, 2019 Toyota Camry." My manager said as he walked to the back.

"Huh? What that look like?" I asked as he looked out of the store window.

"The red car dummy." He said.

"You should've said that." I mumbled as I walked out of the store, seeing the guy with the highlighter hoodie walk up again.

POP!

POP!

POP!

People screamed and ran as they tried to take cover. Someone shot a gun three times hitting the guy in the highlighter. 

I tried to run towards the Uber but the car pulled off. I avoided looking at the body but I caught a glimpse of it. He was hit in the chest and knee. He laid on the ground, groaning in agony.

In less than 2 minutes, multiple cop cars arrived at the scene, being that we were a couple blocks away from a police station.

My manager came running out of the store. "Oh my god! Kayla! Are you okay?!" He asked as he grabbed me.

"I'm fine." I reassured him. "Just shaken up."

"Hi." A police officer walked up to us.

"Yes?" I asked.

"We're going around looking for witnesses to this crime." He said. "I was wondering if you guys saw anything."

"All I know is there was a fight. I came back out after I heard gunshots, and that's all." My manager told the cop.

"What about you ma'am?" The cop asked.

"All I know is there was a fight, and then shots were fired when I was going to get in the car." I said.

"You didn't see who shot the gun?" My manager asked.

"No." I said. "I wasn't paying attention at first, and when I heard gunshots I ducked."

"Are you sure you didn't see who did it?" He asked me.

"No." I said.

"Do you see that man over there?" The cop pointed at the light skin dude with the tattoos.

"Mhm." I nodded.

"I've been trying to get him off of the streets forever." He told me. "If you tell me that he did it, I can put him away for a long time and we can keep the streets safe."

"I didn't see who did it." I was now getting overwhelmed.

"Listen, I will pay you to say he did it." He whispered to me.

"Sir, she said she didn't see anything!" My manager spoke up for me. 

He looked unpleased as he sighed before walking away from us. I looked up to see the light skinned boy with the tattoos looking at me as they uncuffed him.