Chapter 33

That night at dinnertime, Thanya couldn't look Dan in the eyes

That night at dinnertime, Thanya couldn't look Dan in the eyes. She was hurt that he blamed her for something she didn't do, something that she had no involvement in. It was years ago when that horrible incident happened. Racism was an ugly thing, and she never knew what it felt like to be discriminated against until now.

Hearing the tone that Dan spoke in, Thanya knew that there was no changing his mind. She wanted to convince him that she wasn't a bad person. She loved his son with all her heart and that she was a good person, but deep down she knew that it was no use. She wanted to talk to Hansen about it, but not until it was just the two of them. She decided to wait until they were in the room alone.

She felt so alone.

Even though she had Hansen by her side, she didn't know what he was going to do when she told him what she heard. Would he break up with her? Or would he fight for her? She knew how much his family meant to him. She could never make him choose between her and his family. When it was time for Thanya to take a bath, Hansen always helped her. He took care of her and never made her feel like she was a burden. Throughout dinner she knew he was hurting from what his father said too, but he never showed it. 

Hansen left the door open as he pushed Thanya's wheelchair to the bathroom

Hansen left the door open as he pushed Thanya's wheelchair to the bathroom. That way it would be easier for them to just go back in. When Dan passed by their room, and saw that Hansen and Thanya's door was open; he didn't pay any attention until, he saw what was lying on the nightstand that was just across the door.

It was a golden locket.

He looked both ways to see if anyone was coming. Belle was downstairs and Hansen just started to give Thanya a bath, so he had enough time to look at it before anyone saw him. He quietly rolled into the room to take a look at the locket. It seemed like the closer he got, the louder his heart would beat. His hands reached toward the locket, practically shaking. He opened the locket.

The picture in the locket looked old, but you could still make out that it was an Asian woman. He checked to see if the picture could come out. Looking at the back of the picture, he saw something engraved. He held it at a distance, where he could get a better look.

"MADE IN CHINA."

He scoffed, and closed the locket. Angry at himself for even bothering to take a look at it, he quickly left it the exact way it was and left the room before anyone saw him. Shortly after he left, Thanya and Hansen came back from taking a bath. Hansen helped her put on her clothes and softly dried her hair. He had her face the mirror she now sat across from, as he towel dried her hair. 

"I overheard the talk you and your father had earlier today," Thanya said softly

She watched as Hansen suddenly stopped what he was doing, his hand still hovering over the bag with a T-shirt in it. He slowly put it down and turned around to face her. He walked to her and cradled her face in his hands. He made sure to be eye level with her and told her just how much she meant to him.

"I'm not leaving you," Hansen said fiercely. "He's hateful because he doesn't know you. He doesn't know you like I know you. You're beautiful, amazing, smart, kind, and caring."

Thanya stayed quiet, soaking in everything Hansen was saying. She knew that he was just trying to assure her, that he still loved her, and so did she. She loved him with all her heart and soul, from his head to his toes. She loved him with everything she had.

Even enough to leave him . . .

"Can you take me to a hotel?" Thanya asked Hansen with sad eyes.

Hansen wanted to fight her on this, and he did. He did everything he could to convince her to change her mind, but nothing worked. She stood her ground and refused to change her mind. It hurt her to do this, but she strongly felt that she was doing the right thing. She knew that if she stayed, it would only make things worse. She was already having a hard time dealing with the fact that she no longer had her legs. Now she had to deal with the fact that her fiancé's father didn't like her too.

"I'm going to stay with you too," he said, as he packed his clothes.

Thanya shook her head and replied, "No. Stay here with your family."

Hansen was getting frustrated. He didn't want her to go and he definitely didn't want her being somewhere without him. He felt like he was fighting for her all over again, and he would continue to do so, till his last breath. He hated the situation that they were in. He wished that his father wasn't racist.

"I'm coming with you, and that's final," Hansen said firmly.

"Hansen, please," Thanya pleaded.

Her heart was breaking . . . and so was his.

In the end, Hansen unwillingly gave in to her demand. He packed her bags and in the middle of the night, booked a room at a hotel near the house. Hansen made Thanya think that it was the only one in the town. He didn't want her far away from him. It was hard enough being without her. When he settled her into the hotel room, he kissed her and tried to once again beg her to come back. She denied his request every time. When he left, he left with tears in his eyes.

He knew it wasn't a goodbye, but it felt like one.