TWENTY THREE

MAX'S POV

-2 Weeks Later-

Wedding preparations is all that has been happening in the castle since Ava has left.

I have to admit, Veronica and I are struggling to see eye to eye. Perhaps I'm the problem.

Despite us not even being married I feel like I'm already having an affair as my entire being is just longing for Ava. My heart isn't in this marriage.

I suppose Veronica sees that.

My thoughts are interrupted.

"My love, you have a suit fitting."

I turn around and see Veronica wearing yet another tiara. This time one with more diamonds than the first five.

I nod, "I'm on my way."

I've decided to pastphone my coronation until next year as it seems that Veronica and I have a lot of settling in to do.

My Father was not entirely ecstatic about my wishes but agreed to it nevertheless.

THE QUEEN'S POV

I've watched my son go from happy to depressed in a matter of days. It scares me as I've never seen him hit rock bottom before.

I know better than to medel in my son's love life, but goodness me it seems like there needs to be an intervention!

All I know, with regards to Ava is the reason why she had to leave and that Maxwell has asked our permission to fund her Father's health expenses.

So today I am doing something unexpected and uncalled for.

I gather some of the guards before I leave the palace.

KATE'S POV

I make my way to the front door. As soon as I open it I immediately gasp and curtsey.

"Your Majesty."

She smiles at me.

I step aside, "Please come inside."

Once she has walked in, Mother emerges from the kitchen. She immediately drops her tray.

The Queen rushes towards her to help her.

Mother laughs nervously, "Sorry your Majesty. The house is a mess I am so sorry for plan-"

She cut her off, "Nonsanse. I imposed and I should be sorry. If it would be possible, I am here to see Miss Ava-Lane."

I smile and nod, "Let me go and get her."

AVA'S POV

Kate barges into my room making me jump.

I furrow my eyebrows, "Kate. We have spoken about knock-"

She cuts me off, "The Queen is inside."

My eyes widen and hastily I make my way inside.

As soon as I arrive inside I see Mother in tears.

I furrow my eyebrows, "Everything alright?"

Mother nods, "The Royal Family is taking care of your Father's medical expenses."

I smile and glance at the Queen. I curtsey before smiling, "Thank you."

She winks, "No problem. Although, I should get to the point of my visit. I came here to give you this."

She hands me the wedding invitation.

I glance up at her, "Max and Veronica's wedding. I thought that he does not want me to att-"

She cuts me off, "Maxwell loves you. There is no denying it. He has hit rock bottom! I mean he is even losing his temper with the staff, it is so unlike him! I went to check up on him one night while he was sleeping and all he murmered was your name. He even pastphoned his coronation. He is falling apart without you."

I am stunned. Speechless.

Mother and Kate stare at me in shock.

I blink,"Well, I-I am so uncertain as to what I need to say."

She shakes her head, "You do not need to say anything, dear. Just think about what I said. Anyhow, I should get going. No one knows that I am here."

After wishing the Queen a goodbye, immediately I run outside until I stop by an isolated field.

I flop down on to the green grass to think about what lies ahead for me.

MAX'S POV

-Two weeks Later-

The wedding is a few days away. If I had my way I'd much rather make a run for it and abandon all my duties.

But that would be foolish and immature.

Veronica has been driving me insane. The girl is so demanding.

My anger is boiling.

She keeps babbling on about her wedding dress and how unsatisfied she is with it.

I burst.

"Leave. If you do not leave my chambers at this instant I will get my guards to personally escort you. You will be having dinner with my parents. I am excused as I cannot bear to be in the same room as you. I-I-"

I trail off.

Veronica stares at me wide eyed, anger plastered across her features.

I turn around, my back towards her.

"Well, then let's not get married! Go and find Ava! She was your first choice afterall!"

Immediately I turn around, my features soften at the name.

I sigh, "Veronica, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to snap at you."

She begins to cry but shakes her head. I walk towards her and wrap my arms around her.

I sigh, "I want to make our marriage work."

She sniffles and nods.

"Then stop talking about Ava."