Chapter 15- A New Ally

Kylo Ren had managed to get to his Tie Interceptor and board the awaiting Finalizer without being seen by the scouts. He'd sensed nothing within the Force as he'd departed Pasaana's sandy-covered surface to suggest that Rey had been hurt or killed, but that did not stop his seething anger as he entered the hangar, exited his ship and headed for the bridge. How could Captain Peavey have done this? Defied him? On approaching the bridge, however, he realised it wasn't Captain Peavey who'd sent scouts down onto Pasaana. Peavey was stood on the bridge with an accepting yet mildly annoyed expression on his face, his stance not quite his usual impeccable military standard. To Peavey's left stood General Armitage Hux.

Hux stood, attempting an impassive look, but as usual, he was failing. Playing at the corners of his mouth was a malicious smirk. He tugged at the perfectly turned-out cuffs of his uniform as though something was out of place. Kylo knew the only thing Hux considered to be out of place was him. Hux had no love for Kylo, but he respected his abilities, abilities he'd been on the receiving end from both Kylo and Snoke before him more than once. Kylo was sure that Hux was not jealous of such skills. Hux had always seemed immensely proud of his accomplishments, all he'd achieved. In the eyes of their previous Supreme Leader, no matter how talented or ingenious, it was never enough. Snoke was of the Force, as was Kylo, something Hux couldn't be part of, no matter how resourceful. The more Kylo considered it, the more he realised how similar he and Hux were, both under the shadow of legendary men, trying to appease a sadistic and manipulative role model, but both with the ultimate goal of replacing said mentor and in doing so taking the title of Supreme Leader for themselves. Kylo, however, had beaten Hux to it, albeit temporarily. They'd both been demoted by Allegiant General Pryde, the Contingency and Darth Sidious.

Despite their openly antagonistic relationship and competitive rivalry, Kylo and Hux had saved each other multiple times and not merely due to orders from Snoke. Kylo and Hux had to work together for survival after the crash landing without hope of rescue. Kylo had saved him as their ship had fallen into the unknown planet. He'd told Hux it was to save himself and that Hux was merely nearby, but he wasn't so callous as to let him die. Unnecessary death was something Kylo had always avoided where possible. They hadn't just saved each other out of ulterior motives either. During their shipwreck, Kylo had gone to protect Hux from some rabid native creature- a Norwood. Hux had run off like a coward and would've allowed him to die, but fate had other ideas. Hux tracked him down in the snow on StarKiller, where he'd lain bloody and beaten. Somehow, in some way, their existence within the First Order was so entwined.

General Hux's father, Brendol, was as oppressive, abusive and cruel as Snoke had been, and yet it was all Hux could do to be acknowledged. Hux had been creative, intelligent and ruthless, hated by the high-ranking officials as much as Kylo was, unlike Kylo. However, the lowly troopers respected him. Hux was responsible for the stormtrooper's training and education. The lower-ranking stormtroopers were just afraid of Kylo. His unflinching callousness had served him well. However, Hux had murdered his father, aided by his loyal soldier Phasma. That was just another thing Hux and Kylo had in common: the murder of their father. Although Hux's father, by all accounts, had deserved his fate. Kylo knew, in complete contrast, that his father had not. Although demoted, Hux was still prominent within the ranks and young; there was still time for him to show his worth and quality. Though neither man could see why the other was important, Kylo was beginning to see it now. Snoke had told him once that men like Hux were useful, consumed by ambition and fueled by spite, unable to set aside their pride and burning with shame. Like abused pups, they grow to be vicious creatures, but they never forget where they came from and never forgive.

There was no pretence between them. Hux hated Kylo, though Kylo wondered, other than Phasma, if there was anyone who, on some level, Hux didn't hate. Kylo had sometimes ensured Hux's compliance following Snoke's death by utilising the Force, but Hux was not scared of him. Up until Snoke's demise, Hux had felt himself Kylo's equal. He informed Kylo, as Snoke had, that his mask was to hide his cowardice, his acceptance of who he truly was and where he came from. Hux's contempt for Kylo was always well restrained. Had he actually managed to shoot Kylo as he'd intended on the throne room floor, Kylo wondered how different things might stand currently. Perhaps if Hux had succeeded, it might have been better for everyone.