09

Percy watches from the shore of Dragonstone as Drogon lands atop the cliffside, screeching excitedly as his brothers fly nearby.

His face breaks out into a smile as he sees Viserion dip down, flying closely to the ground. The golden dragon, as Percy likes to call him, surprises him by landing gracefully on the ground nearby. Slowly coming to a complete stop.

His cream colored wings flap slightly in the wind as he stares at the Lannister. His rich eyes are firm, almost calculating as he scans Percy's body. For what? He doesn't know.

Eyebrows furrowing on his forehead, Percy takes a curious step forward. Viserion's eyes watch the movement, lips curling slightly into a growl. It doesn't deter Percy though, his wonder and curiosity getting the best of him as he continues.

They're mere feet away when Percy stops, not wanting to push his luck and risk getting ripped apart. But a small part of his mind tells him that Viserion wouldn't harm him.

The thought is absurd in his mind, for dragons are known to obey no one but their Targaryen descended tamers, burning alive all that are unworthy of flying them.

Percy's eyes widen as Viserion slowly leans forward, eyes dead set on his hovering hand. He freezes in his place, watching as the dragon runs his large head along his fingers. It's rough and scaly, yet somehow, to Percy, it's almost comfortable.

His fingers brush the side of the creatures face, caressing softly as the dragon calms it's tense posture. The touch was almost a relief for the both of them, like an inevitable happening that tied into some bigger purpose.

"They've never been this friendly before. At least, not with strangers."

Percy's body jolts at the unexpected words, cursing himself for getting lost in the touch and not paying attention to the rest of the world. His hand retracts itself, and Viserion growls in distaste, launching into the air and toward his siblings. Percy watches him for a few fleeting moments before turning to Daenerys.

"I'm sorry, I should've asked before I-"

"It's alright." The dragon queen cuts him off with a slight smile, though her eyes hold a hidden wonder. "I command them, I don't own them. Dragons will do as they please, when they please to do it. And Viserion must have wanted you to touch him, no matter how strange that be."

"They're amazing, truly." Percy can't contain the large smile from accompanying his face as he looks back at Viserion, and the dragon screeches with joy. "I've never fully taken the time to appreciate their beauty during my time here."

"War waits for no man, I remember my brother saying." Daenerys follows his gaze, though it drifts to her other child. "Rhaegar, of course. It was the last thing he said to me before Viserys and I fled Westeros. I don't remember much about him, but I do recall that he was the most noble of my family. He knew the importance of war. I would like to thank you."

Percy's head snaps to her, and her eyes are already on him when their eyes connect. Her purple irises hold a million different tales, ones that he can't help but want to hear. His eyebrows furrow as he ponders her words, and she smiles small.

"If it weren't for your council, I would have flown to King's Landing blindly, and innocent people would have died." She confesses, looking down slightly in shame. "Perhaps if I had listened sooner, Olenna would still be alive...I'm sorry that I didn't."

Percy stares at her, contemplating her words for a few moments before sighing. "You are a queen, Daenerys. Making the wrong choice is inevitable. I'm not going to say that you were right to ignore me, because you weren't, but you had no obligation to listen and ignore what you thought right."