26

"Hey, she finally woke up." I heard Darry say the second I opened my eyes. I sat up and saw him sitting in my desk chair at the foot of my bed.

"What're you doing in here? Where'd Soda go?" I asked through a yawn, rubbing my eyes.

"Well, he woke up and had me switch spots with him so he could shower and grab something to eat. You've been sleeping forever; it's 10:30 in the am, little sis."

"Really?" I asked, surprised as I checked the clock and saw he was right.

"Yeah, Soda got me to switch him around 9:45. He was trying to just wait in here until you woke up, but he grabbed me when I walked by. Said he couldn't hold it anymore, he had to go pee." Darry chuckled.

I laughed a little as I got up and began rummaging through my dresser drawers, grabbing some clean clothes. "And uh, that's all he said?" I inquired curiously. Last night, Soda had put my blade on the dresser in his and Pony's room and made sure the cuts were properly bandaged, ya know, without toilet paper and tape. And after that, we went back to sleep, neither of us saying much of anything. I wasn't sure if he'd tell Darry or not.

"Well, he mentioned last night and that you uh, had a hidden blade and cut again."

"Oh." I said quietly as I pulled out a pair of jean shorts and an Elvis T-shirt.

"Look, we don't have to talk about it. It won't change what happened, Soda took the blade away, nothing else can be done."

I nodded, grabbing a clean bra and underwear.

"But just answer a question honestly for me?"

"Ok."

"Do you have any other hidden blades?"

I shook my head 'no,' still not looking at Darry.

"Hey." He said gently, stopping me before I walked past him and out the door. "Look at me."

I looked up, taking a deep breath. "I don't have any more."

"Okay then."

Then Soda came back in, excited to see me as if nothing happened last night. "She's up! You gonna grab a shower?"

"Yeah, I need to." I answered. "And no, nobody will be in the bathroom with me."

"I think you're wrong. Listen, I know it's awkward and nobody likes it, but after last night, hell, after the last week, you and I both know your alone time is not good." Soda reminded me. "Now c'mon, I'll stand facing the door the entire time. And look on the bright side, you'll get some exciting conversation while you get ready! How great is that?"

"Oh just wonderful." I rolled my eyes.