Chapter Twenty Three

"They're fighting over a cow?" Richard asked disbelievingly, scarcely able to keep from rolling his eyes at his solicitor, Mr. Townsend who had been kind enough to bring a certain dispute two of his tenants were having over a cow to his attention.

"More specifically, the fact that Mr. Brown's cow consistently chooses to....er, relieve itself on Mr. Smith's land." Mr. Townsend clarified, barely able to maintain a straight face himself.

"And what on Earth do either of them expect me to do about it?" Richard questioned confusedly. "Why can't they simply build a fence between their property so that the cow doesn't cross over?"

"They have before, Your Grace." Mr. Townsend explained, "On three occasions. But the cow, Bessie, has simply broken through the fence every time."

"What would my father have done?" Richard asked, burying his face tiredly in his palms, before looking up again. The meeting had been going on for two and a half hours, and the dispute over the cow wasn't the first ridiculous one he'd been consulted about. "He taught me about rental agreements and serious disputes, but not cows."

"He would have arranged a meeting with the men, spoken to them about it and helped them realise how ridiculously they are behaving." Mr. Townsend informed him, and Richard decided that that was a better solution than many.

"I suppose I'll do just that, too." He supplied, "I'll ride into the area tomorrow and discuss the matter with them."

"Then that is all, Your Grace." Mr. Townsend said, and Richard rose to his feet gratefully, thankful that the tedious meeting had come to an end.

"Until tomorrow, Townsend." He said dryly, for every day such lengthy meetings had been occurring. He bade the man goodbye before settling into his chair again, and his thoughts flew almost instantly to Alexandra.

The kiss had been wonderful, and everything he had hoped for. He did not mind sounding like a besotted fool, for it was the truth. He truly loved her and her agreement as well as response to the kiss had given him the hope that she, perhaps, loved him too.

However, she hadn't met his eyes all day yesterday and hadn't even come down to breakfast. She hadn't come anywhere near him the entire day, and he was wondering whether she thought of it as a mistake, whether she regretted it as much as he feared she did.

He sighed, before standing again and walking to the door of the study. Now that Mr. Townsend had left, there was no cause for him to remain there. He had guests that he was obliged to spend time with, even if one of them was a woman who, after the day before, probably hated him.

To his surprise, as he turned the bend in the corridor, he spotted Alexandra stepping out of her room, her eyes cast downwards and her attention elsewhere. He cleared his throat and she looked up suddenly, her lips forming a small, surprised O. He'd kissed those lips only yesterday...

He pulled himself from those thoughts, and greeted her civilly, hoping to gauge her reaction from how she responded to him. She immediately looked away, and his hopes fell.

"How are you today?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest as she looked anywhere but at him. She did not respond for a long moment and, when she finally did, it was with a single word. She clearly regretted it.

"Alexandra," Richard sighed, deciding to clear the air between them so that there wasn't any room either for a misunderstanding or for an argument. "There is something we ought to discuss, and I think that the sooner we are finished with it, the sooner we can breathe easily."

"I suppose there is." She agreed neutrally, and he clenched his fists to stem the tide of his growing frustration.

"I am sorry." He said stoically and firmly. "I am very sorry for making advances on you yesterday."