Chapter 16

Another messenger appeared after a week of waiting. It was the worst week of my life. Keeping the doctor off my heels was not easy. He kept urging me to change my diet, he was worried that I was falling to the same fate as my father. Something was wrong with this place was his newest catchphrase.

The guard approached with the letter, warily handing it to me. I opened it with Asa and my mother watching on.

"Well?" My mother asked.

"The king has accepted the invitation and will be here at midnight."

Closing the letter, I turned my attention to the guard.

"Be prepared for the army to arrive tonight. The king of province five, his advisor and no more than two guards may pass through the gate but no one else. They are not permitted to have any weapons on them and if they are not prepared to walk into this estate in such circumstances then refuse entry until they change their mind. That is all."

He nodded and returned to the path back to the gatehouse.

"Mother, I think it is time for you to leave for the safe house."

"I will not leave you in your hour of triumph."

"And what if it is my hour of failure?"

"Then I will stand beside you and accept what fate awaits us."

"Mother, you are a stubborn mule."

She smiled at me.

"And I passed on those amazing genes to my daughter."

That you certainly did.

"Asa, send the unnecessary staff home for the evening."

"As you wish, my lady."

He closed the doors and then set about his task.

"You still look ill."

"I still feel ill." I returned.

"Hank has been looking for you, said it was important."

I rolled my eyes.

"He thinks that an itchy foot is important, mother."

She chuckled, nodding.

"Still, he is a worthy doctor and your father thought a lot of him. He tried so hard to save your father. I think that it has upset him that he failed and now that you are sick, he sees that history is repeating itself. He's worried for you, Dahlia."

Flicking her head, she gestured to the stairs. Reluctantly, I nodded and wandered to the archway. It sat in the center of the two grand staircases, beyond the archway was the informal sitting rooms and parlors.

More recently, the doctor had set up an office here. It was only temporary so that he could be on call for my father's needs. With his passing, Hank had started to pack up his things. He was returning to the hospital now that he was not needed. Or at least, he didn't think he was needed. I wasn't so sure right about now.

Hank's eyes rose when I appeared in the doorway.

"My lady, come in, please."

He stood and closed the door behind me.

"Thank you for coming to see me. I know that I have been a bit of a pest of late but I was worried about your health. Having seen your father start off like this, it concerned me that you were going to fall to the mystery ailment too. Please, take a seat."