Chapter 10

I had one rule. It was a simple one and I'd always believed that I could follow the rule without any issue. I did not have sex with the target or the client. Fun time was found elsewhere and it was that simple.

Except this morning, I'd done what I said I'd never do. I broke my rule. I was now paying the price for it, he'd fled when I let my guard down. Of course, I could blame that on alcohol as well. That was my new rule, rule number two. No drinking.

I was on the bed, staring at the ceiling, hoping that the world would stop spinning. Hangovers sucked and I was never drinking again.

Someone thumped on the door, I groaned as I held my hand to my head. Slowly I staggered to the door and opened it. Even though I felt like shit, I was thoroughly amused to see Silas.

"I have a new name for you, it's boomerang."

"Hilarious," He hissed, thumping his body against the door frame.

Pain would be radiating through him and it warmed my heart to see him suffering.

"What have you done to me?"

Pushing open the door, I waited for him to walk in. While his back was turned, I pulled out my phone and quickly turned the tracker off. He groaned, leaning on the wall.

"Did you put a tracker in me?"

"I sure did. Now, where am I taking you, north or south?"

He huffed, shaking his head. Walking to the trolley, Silas lifted the cloche and looked up me.

"Is there something wrong with the meal?"

Most of it was eaten but I struggled to keep my stomach settled so I didn't want to push it too much.

"Yeah, it's called a hangover. Thanks for that, asshole."

"You seemed to manage quite well without my encouragement."

Silas sat on the edge of the bed, watching me as I sat down on the chair. It was slow and careful, an uneasy path when the world continued to move.

"I definitely know you from somewhere."

"This again," I huffed. "Let it go, you do not know me from anywhere."

When he looked at me, I knew that he was scrutinizing every single part of me, searching for the answer.

"Well, at least you've eaten something. It is necessary after such a heavy night."

"Sure. Answer the question."

"You don't need to worry. I rang and spoke to Alaric. Check your account, he said that he'd wired the money. You have completed the mission, all is well again."

I stared, wondering why he was so adamant in finishing this here and now.

"Alright, you don't want to return to the ridge. I can accept that but I insist on you returning to your family. If only for one day."

"I don't need to go back. They're doing just fine without me."

"See, I don't believe that for a second."

"I don't expect you to. Now, are we done?

Glancing at my watch, I realized that if I could get him into the car, I might just make it. An entire night of driving, it would be worth it regardless of how much my head was thumping right now.

"Fine. I have to get going anyway."

Picking up my bag, I lifted it over my head.

"Can you at least take it down to my car for me?" I said, tipping my head at the suitcase. "It's heavy and I can't handle it and the hangover at the moment."

Silas looked at it, glancing back at me like he feared I was up to no good again. I could say, always but then I wouldn't get what I wanted and I was a girl that always got what she wanted.

"What's in it?"

"Clothing mostly. I live a nomadic life so I take everything with me."

Silas lifted the bag and followed me out of the room. The path to the front desk was silent, I was very grateful for it. No noise, just the bliss of nothing.

With everything settled, we walked to the parking garage which was beneath the hotel, one level down. My car that was on loan from Blyth was sitting in the darkness, a park that I'd specifically chosen. I'd also turned the camera enough to ensure that nothing was seen.

Clicking the button, the trunk lid lifted and Silas dumped the bag into it. He turned and his eyes widened.

"No!"

I huffed a soft laugh and shot the dart out at him.

"Too bad, so sad," I said sweetly.

As his body succumbed to the dart, I pushed him back into the trunk and closed the lid. Making my way to the side of the car, I opened the back doors and pulled down the seats. Rolling Silas out from the trunk wasn't easy but I got there eventually. Well, the top half of him. His legs were still in the back of the car. It was the best that I could do, given the circumstances.

With the child locks on, I knew that he couldn't jump out easily but of course, I liked to have my insurance policies so, I handcuffed him to the door.

With a satisfied hum, I lifted the bag off my body and got in behind the wheel. It was going to be a long night but at least I will win the game.

The early evening was cool and crisp, I had the window down a fraction to let the fresh air in. I also had the radio playing soft enough that it wouldn't wake Silas ahead of schedule. Not that I cared, he wasn't going anywhere.

It didn't take long for me to get to the highway and once I was out there, I put my foot down. I hoped to make good time tonight. Maybe unload sleeping beauty in the back and then find a hotel for the day.

I could spend a few hours soaking in a tub or maybe a relaxing shower. A few pain pills and then sleep the day away. No tasks, no jobs. Just a day for me to recover.

My wishful thinking was going well until I saw the glow of red lights ahead. I groaned softly and realized that they'd decided to do roadworks.

"Of all the damned nights," I muttered.

But still, I persevered because I had little choice. All I had to do was watch the clock and ensure that if I wasn't close enough to the royal lodgings then I'd have to find somewhere to rest for the day.

I hoped it wasn't the case but I feared that this delay was going to set me back. Maybe I was destined to fail this job. It seemed that every time I turned onto the right path, I faced another setback.

When the cars came to a complete stop, I realized that my plans for making it to province five and the king's home was doomed. I was not going to make it tonight.