Chapter 3

I decided that I'd spend the rest of the night at the base. There were several reasons but the biggest was the impending dawn. I'd been given a vehicle that I could use during the day but I didn't see the point when no vampire would be awake anyway. It was hard to get a place to open their doors when the sun was blaring.

Blyth granted me the use of the guest accommodation, it was a functional room that was clean. And, it was all that I needed. After all, I'd been in worse. Sleep was a few hours away, I was hungry and desperately needed blood otherwise I'd sink my fangs into the first person that looked at me the wrong way.

For now, I was in the mess hall, pretending to mind my own business. Which meant that I was listening to as much as I could. Seeing a hand grip the backrest of the chair on the other side of the table, I looked up at the grinning man.

"This seat taken?"

"No." I offered, wondering what he wanted.

He sat down, still with the gleaming smile.

"You're new here."

"And temporary."

Very little was offered in the way of emotion, just a twinkle in his eye as he stared at me. I was seconds away from punching those pretty white teeth into next week.

"Well, we're all temporary."

Picking up the bottle of blood, he started to shake it while glancing around the room. The man watched as two men walked out of the hall, talking about something.

"You're wasting your time." The man offered as he cracked open the lid.

"And why is that?"

That pretty boy smile was now gone, replaced with a serious man. This was what I liked, someone that wanted to give up information. Whether it was any good or not, that was yet to be seen.

"Because boss man said he wasn't coming back."

"Why, I thought he wanted to,"

"Yeah, the bridge. We all want the bridge to save the betas."

"Seen too much?"

"There isn't enough psychiatrists and alcohol in the world to cover what we see."

Pulling out the brochure, I showed it to the man.

"Will I find him here?"

The man leaned forward, narrowing his eyes.

"Why do you want to find him?"

"Because his family is worried. They want to hear from him, they want to make sure he's okay."

He sighed heavily, taking the piece of paper out of my hand. After putting the half-empty bottle down, the man pulled a pen out of his pocket and wrote an address on it. Taking it back, I committed the address to memory and tucked it into my pocket. I'd learned the hard way about that. Information was like gold, it was worth a lot and incredibly important. Sometimes it was rare like it too. Let it fall into the wrong hands, lose it or have it stolen and there may not be a chance to get it back.

"Thank you. I'm sure that Silas has asked you to keep it a secret."

"He didn't. We understand why he left. If you have a heart, you won't ask him to come back here."

As he stood to walk away, I looked at the clock above the door. It was an hour off the scheduled time for dawn. Finishing my blood, I got up from the table and dumped the bottle into the trash. I was going up to the lookout.