F O U R

Even though it was a Thursday night, after nine, people were still out and about. The city that never sleeps. I sat in the backseat of Jax's car and watched the streets roll by.

People flowing in and out of bars, kids in puffy coats darting down the block. This city ran on its own clock. My jeans squeaked against the leather as I shifted, unable to settle down.

I listened in on the conversation Chris and Jax were having up front. They were like water and oil. My brother energized and talking a mile a minute.

Jax, relaxed, one hand draped loosely over the top of the steering wheel. Chuckling lightly. Giving responses in only a few words.

Glancing at me through his rearview mirror. Where was he from?

"Where are you from?" The words spilled out of my mouth. The brain to mouth filter seemed numb as well. He smiled again. Chris jumped in.

"Who me? I'm from Brooklyn. I live with my parents and my sister who's a little rude." I rolled my eyes and sunk lower into the seat.

"I'm not rude. It's just a question." I wanted to reach out and slap the back of his neck. Maybe I was prying a bit but I felt like I should know more about him.

The car pulled to a red light and my heart thumped. I felt like I could see the question hanging there in the air. I wanted to snatch it back. I opened my mouth to change the subject.

"I'm from San Diego. But I moved out here about six years ago to live with my Grandmother." He answered coolly. I caught his eye in the rear view window.

I pretended to be obsessed with the car next to us. I stared out of the window and nodded gently. I hoped that I came across as aloof and disinterested. The opposite was true.

Where were his parents? How old was he exactly? What cologne does he wear? I choked all that back and instead embraced the momentary silence.

We reached the pizza shop. It was buzzing with people. The dollar pizza always drew a crowd of folks my age and some older who were on a tight budget. Jax parked and we all hopped out. I trailed behind Chris and Jax.

"Is that Charlene in there?" Chris asked craning his neck as we neared the glass facade of the pizza shop.

I peeked inside. Charlene sat at a table inside surrounded by her friends. All giggling with their faces buried in their phones.

"It sure is. What a coincidence that you wanted to come here at this time." I looked at Chris. He threw me a middle finger and Jax laughed.

Chris and Charlene dated for the better part of two years before he got caught trying to press up on another girl at a house party a few weeks ago.

Granted, he was pretty drunk but Charlene found out and has been giving him the cold shoulder ever since. He'd called. He'd texted. He'd dropped by her house. Nothing worked so he started tracking her moves on social media. It was getting sad.

Chris opened the door and walked inside. Jax caught the door and politely held it open for me. I entered and suddenly felt self-conscious of having him behind me.

I regretted the fitted pants. I wondered if he could see the extra weight around my hips I'd tried tirelessly to work off. I smiled politely and kept it moving toward the front counter.

It wasn't long before Charlene noticed us. She rolled her eyes deeply as Chris made a pit stop at her table.

"Sup, Char." Chris tried to sound smooth. She ignored him completely.

"Hey, Bri. You look cute." Charlene said. I laughed.

"Thanks, Char." I shoved my hands in pockets not knowing how to navigate the awkwardness. Charlene looked past me at Jax.