Chapter Forty-One

The emergency waiting room was practically empty. Kane and Owen sat on the closest chairs to the nurses station. Kane tapped his feet against the floor anxiously, glancing between Owen and the nurses at the desk. He wanted answers. He wanted to see her.

Kane tried to use the bond to check on her, but yet again there was no bond to be felt. It scared him, after so long of being aware of her presence through the bond, he felt suddenly helpless. The same bond that he spent months cursing was the bond he now wished that he had. He thought of that for a moment. No, he didn't wish that the bond had reformed, but he did wish that he could feel her presence. He wished that he could just know that somewhere behind those thick walls and locked doors, she was breathing.

"Do you think they are ever going to update us?" Kane asked, "Should I go up and ask again?"

Owen placed his hand on Kane's arm. "When they know something they will let us know. Let them do their work."

Kane sighed. "I know, you're right."

"They are going to save her," Owen told him, with all the confidence in the world. "They are."

Kane looked up when the door opened. Eve came running into the room, her eyes searching for them. He was glad for her timing, he needed the distraction. Kane lifted his hand and Eve saw him. "How is she?"

Kane shrugged. "They took her into resus and wouldn't tell us anything."

"Oh god," Eve exclaimed. "Do you think she's going to be alright?"

Kane started to speak but stopped. He wasn't sure, and he didn't want to say those words out loud. Owen spoke for him. "She's strong."

Eve nodded slowly. "Yes. Yes," she repeated, as if that was the only word she could think of.

"What happened with the rogues? Did the plan work?" Owen asked her.

Eve's concerned expression shifted. "It did," she told them with a sigh, "we subdued all the wolves including their Alpha. We made the truce. We let them go, and in return they agree to give up their search for Mason. We told them that any attack on our pack or any pack we have an allegiance to ends the truce and we will come after them. They didn't seem too fond of that idea, so I think they will stick to their end of the bargain."

Kane smiled. Their relentless search for Mason was over. Mason wasn't in danger anymore. He could almost breathe easy, for the one second he forgot where he was.

"Did we lose any fighters?"  Owen asked, concern in his words.

"No, thank the Moon Gods, there's some injuries but nothing a few days rest wont fix." 

Kane looked at the few cuts on Eve's arms which were edged with dirt. "You didn't come off scot-free."

"I'll be fine," she shrugged.

"Have you spoken to Mason?" Kane wondered.

"Yes, he's completely safe."

Kane sighed. "Good. It was a good call you two getting him to stay behind. The wolf that captured me told me that all the wolves were on the hunt for his scent. They had one of Mason's shirts at the house. They would have gone for him right away."

Owen nodded. "We thought they would try something like that."

"Thanks again for helping us. I don't know what we would have done without your help."

Eve wrapped her arm around his shoulders. "Don't worry at all." She looked around the room. "Now, where can I get a coffee around here? I think we all need one to get through."