Chapter Twenty

Kane parked his car outside of Mason's house. He didn't get out of the car right away, however. He picked up his phone. Nora answered on the second ring. "Kane," she said. He could hear the smile in her voice. "I'm glad you called, are you happy with a blue and green bedspread? I know we said-"

Kane cut her off. "That's fine. Pick whatever you want."

"Okay, perfect. Oh, and I found a lamp that would go so well on the desk, under that new painting of that wolf you put up the other day."

"Okay." He didn't have the effort to explain to her that the wolf in the painting was him.

Nora paused for a second. Kane could hear Violet and Amelia's voices in the background. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Kane told her. He glanced over at Mason's house. "I just wanted to see if you had any luck asking Jade about that witch doctor you told me about the other day?"

"Unfortunately, no one knows where she went. According to Jade they are pretty hard to track down."

"Did you ask your packs Alpha?" Kane asked.

Nora's voice was edged in frustration. "Well, if I ask him then he is sure to ask why I need to see one."

"Oh," Kane muttered. "You're right. Is there any excuse you could have for wanting to find one?"

"Not a plausible one. Can you talk to Victor? He might know of one."

Kane considered that. "Same issue. I'd have to think of a reason why I'd be looking for one."

"Maybe Adam can ask his father, pretend that he wants an educational experience or something?"

"That's not a bad idea."

"I'm not just a pretty face," Nora responded. "Anyway, what's with the sudden interest in finding one? You didn't seem all that into it the other day?"

"Wyatt talked some sense into me."

"Wyatt?" Nora asked. Kane could hear the jealousy in her voice even in that one word.

"Uh." Kane had forgotten for a moment that Nora knew of his run in with Wyatt at the party. "Wyatt came over today."

"He did? When?"

"Just then. With his mate," Kane added quickly. "He and I just talked. He and Duncan are leaving for Duncan's home pack in a few weeks. He was just saying his goodbyes."

"Good. I'm glad."

He didn't need to ask why she was so glad. "Yeah. Look, I'll let you have fun with the girls. I just arrived at Mason's house."

"Okay, I'll see you tonight."

Nora hung up. Kane wasn't sure if she was mad. He forced himself to not dwell on that conversation too much. He got out of his car, sliding his phone and keys into his pockets before making his way up the path.

Kane lifted his hand and knocked on the door. While he waited, he turned and faced the street. He knew instantly which one was Amelia's house. He wondered for a moment if he should have invited Mason shopping and they could have all gone together, but he was glad he hadn't. He knew the fragile place Mason was at right now, and he didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable. Kane was just thankful that Mason was still in town, after what had happened earlier in the week.

The door opened in front of Kane, but it wasn't Mason who stood in front of him, it was his Aunt. Kane recognised the woman instantly. He smiled. "Hi, I'm Kane," he said. He stepped towards her.