Chapter 5

Jasmine's POV

"Thank you. Visit again."

The door chimed closed and I sat back on my chair behind the counter. I sighed. Weekends are extremely busy in the bookshop and Kyle becomes too strict. I was glad my shift was almost over. Spring break starts from next week and I was ecstatic. I had been pining for a holiday for so long. Finally I get one.

As soon as the clock struck 12 afternoon, I grabbed my belongings to head home.

"Kyle! I'm heading home." I shouted to my boss. A grunted 'okay' came from somewhere behind the shop. I started moving out when the front door opened . Not again.

I plastered a fake smile to welcome the next customer but my eyes widened when I saw who it was.

"Chris?"

The man in question smiled and waved at me. I waved back with a small frown. What was he doing here?

Chris chuckled at my expression and said, "Our families are together holding a small barbecue at our house. My mom insisted I pick you up from your work place."

"Oh."

That was all I could say. I mentally kicked myself for losing all sense of speech when this guy is around me. How on earth can he be this good looking? I took a discreet look at him. He was dressed in a green polo shirt and khaki pants. The green of his shirt brought out the green in his eyes. I knew he was tall, but for the first time I noticed how tall he was. I was a small stick in front of him.

"So let's go." Chris said, bringing me out of my trance, and went out the door. I dragged myself behind him.

We reached his car and he opened the passenger door for me. I ducked my head and mumbling a thank you, got inside. He shut my door and went around to get into his seat. Once he got settled, he turned to me and smiled slightly. I frowned in confusion. Before I could say anything he leaned forward and moved his hands towards me. My breath hitched at the close proximity and I became still. He moved closer and instantaneously I closed my eyes. I heard him chuckle and felt his hand brush past my stomach. I held my breath and heard a soft click.

"Here. Done." Chris's voice pulled me out of my reverie and I opened my eyes. That was when I realised what he had done.

"Thank you. Um...well I always forget about the seatbelt." I said, smiling sheepishly at him. He chuckled and started the car.

The car ride was silent, but not awkward. That's what kept bugging me. All my life I had to deal with silent scenarios which were extremely awkward, like I couldn't just let the conversation end in the fear of having to meet an awkward silence. But with this guy, everything just happened. Like in a flow.

The ride back home was a short one as the bookshop is only 5 minutes away from my home. I thanked him and said I'll meet him at his house after I got ready. I went inside my house and was met with an eerie silence. Of course, my parents were at the Robinson's. I took a quick shower and for the next 10 minutes stood in front of the closet, contemplating what to wear.

What to wear, what to wear, what to wear that would catch Chris's attention......

What?!!

Where the hell did that come from? I shook my head to get rid of such thoughts. I took another look inside my closet and decided to go with the light blue summer dress. I'm not so fond of dresses, hence their less number in my closet. But my Mom insists me on wearing them occasionally. Since the weather outside is cool and bright, the dress seemed like a good option.

I pulled the dress over my shoulders and fasten the zip. I turned to look at my reflection. I didn't look bad. The dress came a little above my knees and perfectly hugged my curves. The halter neck fitted my chest area and accentuated it. All in all, I looked good. I decided to let my hair flow down. I brushed it back and wearing my flip flops, went out the door.

As I reached the Robinson's, I could hear the chatter coming from the backyard. I didn't bother to go to the front door and directly made a beeline for the back. As soon as I reached there, the spicy aroma of barbecue hit my nostrils. My stomach growled.

"Hey Jasmine! Welcome sweetie." Mrs.Robinson greeted and hugged me. I hugged her back and shook hands with Mr.Robinson. My parents beckoned me to sit near them and I complied. As I sat down, I couldn't help but let my eyes wander around in search of a particular person. The elders were conversing among themselves and I was slowly getting bored. So I took out my phone and decided to text my friends.

Saying of friends, Jasper and Violet were slowly getting along. She wasn't happy at all when she found out I had befriended him. She almost threw a fit. But I talked to her and she reluctantly agreed. I won't say they were the best of friends right now, but at least they were progressing.

I opened Violet's contact and send her a quick text.

Hey! Where are you?

Her reply came within seconds.

Babysitting my stupid ass of a brother. Where else?

I silently laughed at that. She and her little brother rarely got along. As in her words, he's a 'devil'. But for me he's the cutest thing ever. He has this cute childish crush on me and everytime I stayed over at their house, he would try to impress me with his hilarious pick up lines. I don't know where he gets them from, but they can bring a smile to anyone's face.

Okay. Enjoy.

I replied her and kept my phone away as Mrs.Robinson called for lunch. I stood up and took another look around. Where was he?

My thoughts were answered as I heard a pair of steps behind me. Without thinking I turned around and my breath hitched.

Chris was typing on his phone and had a concentrating frown on his face. His hair was a bit dishevelled and all I wanted to do was run my fingers through them. The sunlight fell on his face and hair and made him look like a Greek God.

Snap out of it Jasmine!!!!

I was about to turn away when he looked up and caught my eyes. His stare sent delicious shivers down my spine. His eyes widened a bit and he stood still, without breaking the eye contact. I snapped out of my daydream and looked away. But not before I caught his eyes slowly and discreetly roam my figure. I turned around to hide my blush and went to sit down.

Lunch was going to be awkward as hell.