Nine

~B.~
Right as I had finished the dishes I noticed someone leaning against the doorway. I jumped and almost dropped a glass but caught it. Marcello continued to just stare at me.

"Uh-hi. How long have you been there?"

"Few minutes."

"I left food in the fridge for you," I pointed behind me.

"Thanks Bella." I stared at him for a while. He walked towards me and just before our bodies collided he side stepped me to get to the food.

"I have a question actually."

"And?"

I leaned against the counter directly across from his sitting form.

"You still haven't given me a direct answer on when I can go back to my apartment. I appreciate everything here and you all have been great. But I at least need an estimate, I have a job Cello. I need an actual answer."

His eye twitched and that was my first sign of his anger. The next was his death grip on his fork.

"You're not leaving," he barked out.

"And who said that?"

"I fucking did!" Marcello stood up quickly, slamming both hands down. "You're not leaving this house without my say so. You need to be protected by me. You live alone, the most interaction you'd had in months was with your damned cat! You're alone Belle!"

I watched him take deep breaths.

"Don't you think I know that," I hissed.

"I don't need people like you telling me that! I know!" I yelled at him while throwing my hands up. I quickly started pacing.

"What do you plan to do with me here? You're going to live your life while I just sit around. Let me make my own decisions!"

He had a hard stare on his face, I met it evenly. Despite the tears gathering at the corners of my eyes.

"You're staying here."

I swiftly turned and headed towards my room. Marcello didn't protest for once and let me leave.

I stopped when I saw everyone listening. Even guards who didn't know me.

It was time to leave.
~
I had Hershel in his carrier, and a duffel bag of the clothes I had with me. Which proves my point, I didn't even have my full wardrobe.

I walked the least frequent halls and looked for side doors. I had called a taxi 20 minutes ago, and luckily grabbed forty from Mathew. It can be his pay back to Luke.

I stepped out and looked around seeing two guards at the outer entrance. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw they were new guards. Well- maybe not for long after this.

"Hey guys," I approached them.

I smiled, "I'm heading out shopping. Marcello should've told you all right?"

"No-"

"I really have to go guys I'm running late for an appointment, Marcello needs me to pick up some files as well." I squeezed past them as they spluttered. Both tried to ask me questions while I brushed them off. Knowing Marcello he probably warned the guards to watch me but keep from touching. I jogged to the taxi pulling up and gently rushed him.

I leaned against the leather seat while holding Hershel close. I glanced back at the mansion, Marcello might think I wasn't worth going after.

Between the back and forth attitude from him I never knew what he would do.

I scoffed at myself. I was stupid enough to think that even for a second he was interested. I was just an opportunity he saw. The second a beautiful red head comes in he can speak down to me.

The trip was forty minutes and I paid the driver just enough. As I walked into my apartment building the reality hit me.

I was still alone. And people were still attempting to kill me.

The first part hurt me more. I still stood by what I told Milano when we first met. No one would care if I died.

As I unlocked my door and let Hershel out my mind recapped the last few days. All the people I've met and grown to care about in such a short time.

I hit my fist against my forehead lightly. Forget it. You learned this the first time, it's all fun and games until you need them for something.

I looked at the clock and saw it was 8:30. The day after tomorrow I'd go to work. I would call in the morning.

I grabbed Hershel and put him in his little bed. I then grabbed two revolvers that belonged to my father and placed them on the coffee table. I grabbed a kitchen chair and a vase, setting the chair directly in front of the door and setting the vase to balance on the edge  of the seat.

I went around locking each window, before laying on the couch with was diagonal to the door.

I rested my hand on the gun next to me as I felt my eyes grow heavy. If I was going to be attacked I sure as hell wouldn't give up without a fight.