Chapter 57

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Rose~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I don't understand, how can a healthy and fine guy like my son can suddenly faint and then end up in coma!" I said as the doctors announced about his health.

"We are not sure Mrs. Taylor, but it seems your son was suffering from extreme stress. And probably some sudden increase in his stress further led to the collapse" , the doctor replied.

"When will he be out of coma?" I asked again.

"We cannot say. It could be one hour, one day, one month, years or .... never" he replied in the most unemotional way possible.

I burst into tears hearing this.

"Mom, please don't cry. Ollie will be fine", Claire tried to calm me down.

"All of this has happened because of that girl. That selfish bi*ch", I screamed in pain.

"Mom please why are you blaming her. She has got nothing to do with this" she argued.

"Oh really Claire. Max told me that he saw her coming out of Oliver's apartment, seconds before he found Oliver collapsed on the floor. Who do you think caused so much stress to him?" I asked her.

"You did" , she replied.

"What? What do you mean?" I asked trying to control my anger.

"Yes mom, you are the reason behind Oliver's breakdown. You have always been so obsessed with this idea of elite lifestyle, that you compelled him to follow it even when you could clearly see that it was causing him pain. All he ever wanted was unconditional love from you, like any other kid. But your love always had conditions attached to it. This need of yours to prove to the world that you have got an all rounder for a son, who is dipped in gold and no ordinary girl deserves him, caused you your son's happiness and probably his life".

I could not believe my own daughter spoke to me like this. " So, you think I don't love him?" I asked.

"Are you asking me about my opinion or searching for an answer yourself?"

"I have loved Oliver every single day, ever since he came into our life. Yes, I was over protective. Yes, I wanted the world for him, but what is wrong in that?"

"Nothing mom, unless wanting the world for your son could cost him his life" she replied.

"And what about that girl? Why did she leave him, if she loved him so much?"

"Isn't this what you wanted mom? She left him because she realised how much Ollie loves you. She knows that he can never be happy in life if he upsets you. Can't you see mom? He agreed to put his true love under your test only because that gave him a hope to see you happy."

I didn't reply.

"Look at him mom. He is so vulnerable right now. Is this what you wished for him when you adopted him?"

I saw the beautiful face of my poor baby. Although he was unconscious , I could still see the fine lines of worry on his forehead. Looking at him in this condition and realising that all this was because of me made me sick. I wanted to hold him in my arms and cry. I wanted to apologise to my son for not being the mom he deserved.

"Mom, mom ... are you alright?" Claire shrugged on my shoulders.

"I am fine. You take care of your brother, I need to do something." I said getting up to leave.

"What could be more important than your son at the moment?" She asked, almost shocked to see me leaving.

"It is very important. I'll be back in a while" I said picking up my purse.

Claire rolled her eyes and huffed, " of course".

Ignoring her comment I left from there in a hurry.

*********************

Never in my life had I thought that I would be in a situation like this. I sighed before knocking on Samantha's door. I could hear voices coming from inside.

"Why are you doing this to yourself Sam? Why can't you forgive him?"

"Because now I know that we can never be happy together. He can never be happy with me. We are so different. He deserves someone better than me"

"Are you mad. You know he loves you. And you love him. What else one could possibly need to be happy in life than his or her true love?"

"He loves his mother too. And she hates me."

I pushed the door and it opened. Both Sam and her friend Ben turned their head towards me, gawking at me in amazement.

"I am sorry for interrupting your conversation. But I couldn't stop myself after what I heard", I said sitting on a plastic chair kept at the corner.
"You know Samantha, you are right that my son loves me a lot. But I must tell you that I love him equally and can never see him in pain. And right now he is in a lot of pain. And do you know who is responsible for his pain?" I asked looking at her.

"I am sorry Mrs. Taylor that I caused your son so much pain. But I am planning to move to another city, which would be good for both of us" she replied.

"You are wrong dear. My son is in pain because of me. Because of my selfish desires. I was so blinded by my pride that I couldn't see the pain in my own son's eyes. I am really sorry to you too Sam for not giving you a fair chance to form a bond with me" I said as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Mrs. Taylor what are you....?
"It's Rose or Mum for you my dear, not Mrs. Taylor. You are my son's true love and I am here to accept you as my daughter in law from all my heart. So tell me will you be able to forgive me? Will you be able to accept me as your family?" I asked in a croaky voice.

"Mrs. Taylor, I don't know... I mean... I don't understand" she looked overwhelmed .

"Please don't say no Sam. I am begging for my son's life. He will die without you. He.... he is" I fell down on the floor crying thinking about Oliver.

Sam rushed to hold me. Holding me she helped me get up and sat me again on the chair. "Mrs. Taylor, I mean, Mum you don't need to plead to me. I respect you, I love you. You are as dear to me as Oliver and Claire. Please don't cry" she said wiping my tears.

Looking up at her innocent face I said, " Claire was right, you really have a golden heart".

"Can I ask you something?" She said and I nodded.

"Did Oliver send you here to convince me?"

Lowering my face I replied," No love, even if he wanted to he couldn't ".

"What do you mean 'he couldn't ' ?"

"He is in coma. After you left yesterday, he collapsed and...." rest of my words were lost in agony.

Sam moved back and fell on the floor in shock. Her eyes filled with tears. Her friend Ben held her to support her. " Sam, Sam are you alright?"

"What did I do? What did I do Ben? How can I be so ruthless, so evil, so insensitive? What did I do to him?" She murmered more to herself than to Ben.

"Sam, I am sure he will come out of coma if you will be on his side" I said.

"Will you come with me?"

"Yes, Yes take me to him please." She said getting up and a ray of hope appeared in front of my eyes.

#####################################