Chapter 21

"C'mon Melissa, I will show you the harvesting," a smiling Alberto Augustine signaled for Mel to follow him.

She hooked her arm under his waiting arm. "See you both later!" she laughed in between words to Elena and Katarina Augustine.

"This is amazing! Just so very beautiful!" Elena laughed in delight at the sight before her.

Elena's eyes roved down the hundreds of grapevines which made their home in the soil. Rows of green and red grapes hung from the vines. A little further up, Mel and Alberto were talking with some of the workers who were picking the grapes and gently tossing them into baskets. The edges of the vineyard were covered with flowers. The clear blue sky was just perfect as a backdrop against the colourful vineyard.

"The vineyard is our baby, Elena. You know Alberto and I, we cannot have children, so we raise the vineyard as our child." Katarina said in a sing song voice.

Elena nodded with a smile in reply.

Katarina reminded her so much of Liza Bishop. It was amazing how Katarina could be so happy after being disowned by her family for marrying Alberto who was a poor farmer many years back.

Elena's thoughts flew to Liza. How is that she was able to live in a family of filled with men who killed others. How did she survive being a wife of a mafia warlord and a mother to a bad-ass son?

"Elena, darling...did you hear me?"

Elena looked up at the sound of her name, blinking at Katarina.

"You are so far away, sweetheart!"

"I am so sorry Mama!"

"Hmmmm," Katarina put an arm around her shoulders. "...Seems like you have a lot in your mind and heart."

Elena shook her head. "No...no I am fine!" The corners of her mouth lifted upwards forecefully.

"Ah...you smile but your smile does not reach the eyes. What is the matter, darling? If you were fine, then you wouldn't have run away from home...all the way from Florida to the middle of nowhere in Spain. Something tells me that its not because you missed me..."

"Oh Mama...please don't get me wrong...I..." Elena bit her lips as tears began to well in her eyes.

Katarina lifted Elena's chin so that both their eyes met. "It's a boy, no?!" she smiled warmly at Elena. "Only a boy can make a girl fly all the way from Florida to Spain, no?!"

Elena lifted her eyes to the skies to try and stop the tears threathening to fall. One tear rolled down her cheek and then another followed suit. The back of her hands wiped away at both cheeks.

"Ele? What's wrong?" she heard Mel walking up to them.

Alberto put an arm around his wife and kissed her forehead. "Why don't we go into the house for some hot tea? Sky is going to rain," he said as a cold breeze began to blow.

Over several cups of tea and more tears, the tale of Dean Bishop and Elena Cruise was told. The Augustines sat in silence, carefully listening to each part of the story, Elena poured out from her heart. Mel gave angry nods to each affirmation that Elena made about Dean.

"He...he had a gun!" Elena's voice rose.

Katarina and Alberto exchanged worried looks but didn't say a word in reply. They leaned in and listened more, with Katarina gently squeezing Elena's hand in between her sobs.

"He killed them. I don't know..." Elena closed her eyes. "I don't know how many men but he killed them all. He had the gun with him all the time and I knew nothing about it."

"And they tried to stop us from leaving!" Mel added quickly.

"Stop?" Katarina asked.

Mel nodded. "Yes!" Looking at her best friend, she continued. "Ele had an idea to wear disguises and she would fake fainting in the house. We knew very well that Liza," Mel paused and looked at the Augustines. "You see Liza is Dean's mother and Ele's mother's best friend. Both sides' parents arranged a marriage between Dean and Elena. And – "

"They kept it a secret!" Elena interrupted! "All of them! My mother included. I feel so betrayed! Can you imagine my own mother? All she does is sit in that stupid room of hers and drink herself silly. And now, she is trying to ruin my life by forcing me to marry this man who goes around shooting people to death!" Elena spoke angrily, clenching her fists.

"Elena darling...Your mother's heart is broken. She lost the man she loves... Love and death do strange things to people, you know." Katarina said gently, holding Elena's hand.

Elena bit her lip. Deep down, she knew Katarina was right. Her parents loved each other deeply. Her mum has not been the Silvioe woman she knew since her dad died in that horrible explosion.

"When is the wedding?" Katarina asked, still holding Elena's hand.

Elena remained silent.

"In two weeks..."Mel answered

"And you do not want to marry this boy?" Alberto asked

"He's not a good person! He is only marrying me for the money. Because our fathers promised to get us married to each other. He has many women in his life. He even kissed one of them in front of me!" Elena shouted

Katarina drew Elena in a hug.

"But he protected you..." Alberto was in deep thoughts. After a short pause, Alberto snapped his fingers. "That's right. From what you said about the shooting in the carpark, Dean...right...that's his name?"

Elena and Mel nodded together.

"Ah...Dean was trying to protect you. You did not get hurt, Elena. Could it be that he really cares for you?"

Elena slammed down the cup on the table. "No! He does not! He was only trying to put on a show so that I would marry him without giving him any problems. He told me so, Alberto. Believe me, I know what I heard. That he will take everything my father had built and destroy it to the last brick."

A silence fell over the small group. None knew what else to say to comfort Elena who buried her face in her hands. Mel drew her in hug and rubbed her back to provide comfort to the hurts in her heart. Knowing that her comfort would only do so little to offer any form of comfort to her bestie. But she had to try. It had blown her mind to even think they could pull a fast one on Dean and his damn brother! But they did. That little victory gave them both the boost it needed to plan what they needed to do next. Mel shot up at the the last thought. Did they actually have the next plan? What are they going to do in Spain?

The doorbell rang and Alberto got up from the sofa. "I am sorry my dear. Our business partner is coming today to discuss some business matters. I will join you soon," he said apologetically to Elena and Mel. He reached down and planted a kiss on Elena's head before going to answer the door.

Katarina asked, "How did you know about these women?"

"It is all over the internet Katarina! He has many girlfriends. A playboy!" Mel said angrily

Katarina smiled. "You know, sometimes you cannot believe what you read in this internet. These people always like to...how do you Americans say this...erm...make a mountain out of a molehill, yes?"

"No mama! You don't understand! He is an asshole! Nothing good will ever come out of this marriage!" Elena screamed as tears began to roll down her eyes.

"Darling...please calm down...Your parents love you! Why would they want you to marry someone so evil. There must be something good about this boy, yes?!" Katarina said, her eyes filled with love as she looked at Elena.

"No! There is nothing good about him! I am not marrying him! I will not! I will never let myself be bound to a cheating, lying asshole like Dean Bishop!"

"Asshole? Is that any way to call your husband?"

Elena looked up at the sound of the male voice. And she came face to face with Dean Bishop, his fierce blue eyes glaring at her.

Elena's body rapidly paralyzed with fear.

He found her!

And she was going to die!