Chapter 2

Nathaniel’s POV

When I woke up, the sun had not even risen. I lied in my bed, my hands at the back of my neck, staring at the ceiling while trying to prepare myself for yet another first day of being the new kid. I knew I’d have to fake so many polite smiles today that once back home, I’d feel like my lips were permanently stuck upwards.

Tiësto’s Break My Fall rang, startling me and I realized it was time to get up. The sun was now shining; I could see that through the white curtains. But its bright light brought me no comfort; I was still as reluctant to go to school. With a deep sigh, I turned off my alarm and went to my sister’s room.

“Vallery… Are you up yet?” I asked, knocking on her door. When I didn’t get an answer I opened it and went inside.

She was spread out on her stomach, with one of her hands hanging from the bed and her legs tangled in the sheets. A soft snoring sound confirmed my suspicion that she had yet to awaken.

I approached her and lightly shook her.

“Sis, it’s time to get up,” I started gently but she answered me with only a groan so I went on: “Come on, Val, or we’ll be late for school!”

“It’s too early…” She began to protest but just then her own alarm rang.

With another groan which quickly turned into a yawn, she got up and swiped her finger over the screen to turn the music off. I watched her take some clothes and head for the adjoining bathroom. I waited until I heard the shower turning on and only then I headed towards my room. I knew my sister well; if I had left her sooner, she’d just go back to sleep.

Following her example, I took a quick shower, once again thinking of the day ahead of me. I was not looking forward to it. A new school, new people, new teachers with new methods and expectations… God, I hated having to start all over again!

Did I have anything to look forward to?

It would’ve been a bit easier if we started school at the same time as everyone else instead of a good few weeks into the school year.

I getting out of the shower, I dressed plainly - blue jeans and a white button up shirt, hoping it would help me blend with all the other teenagers in school. As a rule – my rule - I never wore anything that attracted too much attention or something that showed off my figure; that was Val’s style. And yes, the moment I went downstairs for breakfast I saw her dolled up in a tight short blue top and her favorite pair of black jeans that were clinging to her lower body. She had shaped her eyes with eyeliner and mascara and her lips with some of that glossy concoction that girls were so fond of. At least her light brown hair was styled casually - in a high ponytail.

I looked around the kitchen and noticed our dad had already left for work. That was not uncommon for him, so I thought nothing of it and just sat down to eat.

Throughout all the time we had breakfast, we listened to our mom chirping about how exited she was to be starting anew and how she already met one of the neighbors – a Miss. Harris, who came to welcome us and was even thoughtful enough to bring us brownies. My sister and I kept quiet and just exchanged glances every now and then. By the looks of it, Val was sharing my feelings about the fresh start and not our mother’s enthusiasm.

When we were finished with our breakfast, mom insisted she’d drive us to school early and after saying goodbye to her, we went to get our new schedules.

The door to the office was opened so Vallery and I walked in. The place was small and a lot untidier than the one in our previous school. The woman behind the knockedabout desk was nothing like the professionally-looking, strict yet helpful lady that ran the office back in England; this one was drowsily leaning her head over her left hand while jotting something down in a scrunched piece of paper.