So Dark On The Edge Of Time

Published on December 31st, 2018.

We're standing on the edge
The edge of time
And it is dark, so dark on the edge of time... - Standing at The Edge, by Hawkwind.

A grubby, sullen overcast marks the final day of 2018. There's a deflated atmosphere of khaki worsted, hessian sandbag, London fog dampness about, which seems apt, given how our hopes seem all but certain to be trampled into the puce green weave of the parliamentary carpet when the delayed, but real new year fireworks begin. There should to be a feeling of anticipation or trepidation as we prepare to cross this historic threshold, for 2019 ought be the year we leave the EU, but I sense an aura of ennui surrounding the issue.

Perhaps the national mood will change in a couple of days when what festivity there was dissipates and the starkness of January reasserts itself. Then, what passes for our 'news' media will wind itself into hysterical knots once more, but in the meantime all is quiet; well mostly so. The most  notable stories being a pop-up crisis of would-be migrants attempting to cross the English Channel by vessels of any kind, stolen, improvised, or hijacked; the sort of events we were warned would occur after the UK left the EU... But it's happening now, while we're still members; explain that, Project Fear!

Also on a nautical theme, as part of the government's 'No Deal' preparations a multi million pound contract to provide emergency ferry capacity for food imports has been awarded to a company that has no experience of running a shipping line, and does not intend to begin running its services until shortly before they are needed, assuming they can source the craft and crews. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/30/no-deal-brexit-ferry-company-owns-no-ships-and-has-never-run-ferry-service The motive behind this arrangement is unclear; whether it is an example of genuinely incompetent preparations, or a plot designed to undermine confidence in any outcome other than May's surrender, or the Tories doing what they do all the time, robbing the taxpayer in order to stuff the trousers of their corporate partners; but if you're not preparing for a supply chain hiatus in 2019 caused by a botched Brexit or civil unrest, you should take this as your wake-up call to stock up while you can.

The light is beginning to fade as I finish this entry; this melancholic day a reminder that time sweeps inexorably on to Big Ben's off-key, sonorously mournful chimes. We are habituated to time's passing, but only at introspective moments such as this do we appreciate how relentless it is; separating us still further from significant events and memories; drawing that which is unknown or feared ever closer. I wish you - whoever you are and whenever you may be reading this - a happy new year. It probably will be anything but happy, but while it has yet to be sullied, we can hope and dream.