Part 15: Do not utter again

Blessed are those who give without remembering and take without forgetting

-Elizabeth Bibesco

"No, No forest again I promise. We are going back to the palace of Maniteek."

Now that new proclamation sent another kind of chills down her spine altogether. Recalling the reasons of his elopement in the first place.
'Why is he going back there?' What has changed now?
From what she had gathered from the rumors going around, even before she had met him was that the king of Maniteek wanted him to marry the princess he had molested. An unfamiliar kind of pang settled on her, pushing her deeper into the already deep dark hole she was living in.

recalling the sinister occurrences that had led him here, to a forest for home, reducing him into no more than a vagabond.

It's not like she hadn't thought about it before, she had done it! Every single moment that she had spent as his wife, her mind had revolved around the same predicament time and again. 'The demons of his past.' Although at the back of her mind she knew that there aren't really any demons in his past except those he had created himself! But, she refused to believe, ignorant of her unconscious mind she had somewhere made a pact with herself in believing that her insolent and egoistic husband is innocent. That it seems unbelievable for that this striking man with stormy eyes to commit a sin of highest order. 'To molest a woman?' 'NO!' She shook her head, deep into her own thoughts while the prince gave her a peculiar look.

But how ironic- That she had stopped her own self from asking him directly about the rumors that are going on about him? Afraid that he might affirm every rumor and accept to have committed every sin that he had been accused of?"

'What will you do then?' A voice like that of her father laughed somewhere inside her and she almost cried. She cannot leave with him until she knows for sure that he is really innocent.

When that voice stomped over her soul once again, protruding a voice of agony within her. 'And if he denies being a rapist, will it make him innocent Devika?'

'He had massacred 100s of your men. People you knew and grew up with. How can you forgive him for all that and put it all behind, to begin something new?'

And only she knew that until and night ago she had cried herself to sleep, wishing his death and downfall for ruining her in every form and meaning. Then how can she accept him as her huband? A man who has forced her hand to get married to him? How indeed can she believe that monster even if he denies to have raped another woman?

She looked at him warily and it became very late for along with her cascading tears came a crippling ache in her chest that threatened to rip apart- her soul, her thoughts and her sanity and forced the words out that have caused this torment in the first place.

"Devika?' He asked concerned, once again moving closer and engulfing her to his chest as she sobbed. "what's wrong?"

"Are the rumors true?" She murmured against his chest and he stiffened in his position. "What rumors?" He asked but he knew exactly which rumors she was talking about. 'His tainted past!'