Level 44: Don't Argue

AXEL

"So, you've gotten back together with your ex-girlfriend?" Macey asked.

I leaned back, staring out the window. A bird cut through the sky. "Yep."

Saturday morning, and the sun was shining into the therapist's room. The weather didn't give a shit how I felt.

Sitting for an hour in silence wasn't fun. So, I'd decided that I wouldn't tell her anything important. I doubted Vincent cared about who I was or wasn't dating.

As long as I didn't tell her about Asher, we were safe.

"You don't seem particularly happy," Macey commented.

Nah then.

"I hate her."

"Hate is a strong word," she replied. "Why do you say that?"

"She plays games with people."

I remembered the way her eyes had glinted, her lips stretching into that familiar grin. Power. She was obsessed with it.

"You mentioned that you like to play games."

Not anymore. Games aren't fun when you're the loser.

"Brielle isn't like me. She enjoys hurting people."

"Hmm," Macey hummed. "I see. It begs the question, why are you dating her if you hate her?"

Another bird flew by.

I wondered how that felt—the sun scorching your skin, wind against your limbs. I wished I could grow wings and launch myself into the sky. I'd never come back to earth.

"I have no choice."

*

I was physically and mentally drained when I stepped back into the house. Asher shuffled in behind me.

"Mom?" I called. "Are you home?"

"In here," mom said from the kitchen.

I strode in the direction of her voice. Then froze in the doorway.

Mom was in an apron, hair and hands dusted with flour, a tray of misshapen brownies in front of her. She beamed at me.

Opposite her was Brielle. Her lips pulled up into a smile.

She crossed the room towards me. I didn't move as she kissed my cheek. "You're finally home."

Mom's grin widened as Brielle wrapped her arms around me. "You two look so cute together," mom gushed.

My voice came out stiff. "What are you doing here?"

Brielle brushed back a strand of my hair, her fingers lingering on my jaw. "Can't I visit my boyfriend?"

I pressed my lips shut before I could say something I regretted.

"Hey, mom." Asher kissed her cheek, then sat at the table, taking a brownie.

I walked around Brielle, sitting at the table. "This looks awesome mom."

Brielle slipped into the seat next to me. "Your mom's a wonderful chef."

I suppressed a scowl.

Mom beamed. "Thank you sweetheart."

I stuffed a brownie into my mouth before I could comment.

"Actually..." Brielle leaned forward, biting her lip.

If I didn't know how good an actress she was, I would have believed she was genuinely nervous.