34 - This is How a Heart Breaks

Noise from the party drifts all the way to Hartley's house. It's not overbearing or offensive, just a bunch of teenagers having a little fun. When we enter Melanie's backyard, kids are jammed in like sardines. The pool is so full, the underwater lighting peeks between the bodies splashing around, covering them in a shade of deep blue. This is, by far, her biggest turnout since I've been in town.

We spot Nick near the pool house, throwing back a bottle of beer. Hartley lights a cigarette and makes her way toward him while I meander off in the opposite direction, searching for Sully. He's here somewhere. He sent a text about twenty minutes ago. When I nod a quick hello at Melanie, there's a tap on the back of my shoulder.

"You're here."

When I turn, Sully beams as he stares down at me. "I'm here."

"Let's go somewhere a little quieter," he says. "I have something for you."

A wave of surprise rolls through my stomach. "You do?"

Warm hands land on my shoulders and steer me towards a spot beneath the sprawling canopy of a tree, far enough away from the party that we can hear each other properly.

I let out a groan. "You know I don't like surprises. What is it? And why didn't you tell me you were getting me something so I could have gotten you something, too?"

"Because I wanted to get you a surprise and didn't want you to feel like you had to return the gesture. Now stop asking so many questions." He plops down onto the grass and offers me his hand. "Sit with me, please?"

I chew the inside of my cheek and join him.

He breathes a sigh that sounds suspiciously nervous. "This has been one of the best summers I can remember, and I know it's because of you. So, I wanted to give you something to commemorate it." He reaches into a deep pocket on the side of his shorts and hands over a square box about the size of my palm.

I stare at him and he stares back.

"Open it," he says.

"I can't. I'm too nervous."

He laughs. "Would you just open it already?"

I peel off the lid, my breathing shallow. "Sully ..." Very carefully, I lift a thin strand of black leather from the box. "It's beautiful."

"Do you know what it is?"

I shake my head.

He places his hand over mine and turns the bracelet over until a silver charm faces up. "It's called fleur-de-lis. It's French. Fleur meaning flower and lis meaning lily. It's sort of a symbol of New Orleans," he says. "It represents its history, both good and bad. It's even included in some of the architecture."

He's right, I recognize the pattern. It's all over the French Quarters. It even graces the helmets of their major league football team.

Sully looks up and his expression curls around me. "Do you like it?"

My heart contracts. "I love it." I bring it closer to inspect the three-petal design. "I just wish I had something for you, too."

"Gwen," he says, "That night you came over to my house when my parents were gone—it means more to me than you'll ever know. I wish you didn't have to go back to Ohio. I kinda like having you here."

"I wish I didn't have to go back either."

And I mean it. If I could stay in New Orleans forever, I would. With the exception of Henry, there's nothing left for me at home. Mom's got her hands full raising two kids and my dad doesn't care about anything other than his secretary. Maybe life would be easier if I just lived here instead?