24 - And it all Falls Down

Neither Hartley nor I say much on the walk back to her house. Me because I can't stop thinking about Madame LaRue's good news, and her because ... well, I'm not exactly sure why. I think she's upset she didn't have her cards read.

There's a nervous flutter in my stomach as I rehash every word the old woman said, but mostly what she revealed about the card of the future. Four figures stood beneath that rainbow: a father, mother, sister and brother, just like my family back home. I'm still baffled by how much she knew about the drama I've been trying to keep secret.

When we reach Hartley's house, I take the porch steps two at a time and let myself in the front door. No one's home. "Where's your mom?"

Hartley shrugs. She's still distracted. "Probably at yoga or dropping business orders off at the post office."

Her tone is stilted but I let it slide. If she wants to be in a bad mood, so be it. But I'm not about to let hers ruin mine. Not after the amazing gift I just received.

My back pocket vibrates. I pull out my phone and the name Mom lights up the screen. As promised, I call her every single night, but this is the first I've been excited to talk to her. I can't wait to tell her what Madame LaRue said!

"I'm taking this upstairs," I call over my shoulder. If Hartley responds I don't hear her. I race into her bedroom and close the door behind me. I'm breathless when I answer. "Mom, you'll never guess what just happened!"

"What happened?" she asks. She sounds kind of funny.

"I had my tarot cards read!"

Mom hesitates before answering. "Tarot cards? Is that how you're spending the money I gave you?"

Of course she'd say that. "No, Mom. It was free," I say defensively. "This old lady read them for me. And you won't believe this, but she's blind! She can't even see the cards but she knew exactly what they were and what they meant! Isn't that crazy?" I can barely contain my excitement.

Mom sounds less enthusiastic. "That's great, honey."

"She said—"

"Sweetie, there's something we need to talk about."

Uh oh. Mom's using her serious voice. The same voice she used when she told us my grandfather passed away last year. A ribbon of unease coils in my chest. "Is everything alright?"

"I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, and I feel awful doing this over the phone, but—your father and I are getting a divorce."

What? NO. This can't be. Not after Madame LaRue just read my cards! This is the complete opposite outcome than what she'd promised! The room starts to spin and a black fog creeps in around the corners.

"Gwen, honey? Are you there?"

People who are in love do not get divorced. They took an oath when they got married. Doesn't that mean anything to them? We're supposed to be a family!

Anger replaces my unease. "How can you do this to me and Henry?"

"Gwen!" Mom says, that one word a mixture of hurt and rage. "Your father and I didn't want this to happen."

"Did you even try to fix things?" I sound desperate but I don't care. "Did you try to work it out?"

"We did try. But sometimes people grow apart. I wish things could have turned out differently. You and your brother deserve better than this."

"Does Henry know? Do I need to come home?"

"He's fine. I told him last night. He's wants to stay at camp. He's taking the news much better than I could have ever imagined."