45. Mirror of the Past

The second week of July came. Dave's party has already been set in their usual home where we usually go. It's no longer a teenage party where naked girls were everywhere or beers being served. There were foods, wines, juice, and soup.

"Hello, Dave." I saw Dave alone on a couch and I grabbed the chance to talk with him. He seemed serious and might be thinking deeply about something.

"Hi, Brazen. About last week, I was drunk and I couldn't remember what I've done Patrick told me everything." He took a deep breath and looks at me in the eyes. "I was excited but also nervous when I was assigned as a CEO." He bit his lips and shook his head. "I appreciate you still came after what happened."

"Oh, Dave." I pat on his back and rubbed in a circular motion. "You'll be fine."

"No, Brazen. I'll just represent the business with my name but the truth is, they'll just use me." He frowns and took a glass from the glass table.

"Use you? By who?" I looked at him as he drinks all of the content from the glass.

"By my family. Ian will still run the business but my name is on it." He clears his throat and took another glass but I stopped him.

"Dave... It might be wrong in our eyes but they're your family and what they're deciding might be the best way for the problem. You are the representative of your family and you'll all be working as a team. You are the president, Ian is your right hand and the other members will be your back up. You should not fail them." I explained to him carefully which he might understand. He stands up and offered his hand to me. I accepted it and we take a walk.

"It's not that I agree or disagree but maybe, I should think about it very well." He brought me in a room filled with books which might be their library. I never set foot in this room before. This was always locked for privacy. "I was sent to a business school after we graduated. My dream was to be an engineer and not a businessman but just like what you said before that my family is relying on me. I wasn't trained yet and here I come, the instant CEO." I followed him as he walks towards the books and showed me the pictures and paintings one by one.

He gave me a tour of their library and when we were done, we went out and heard the noisy large living room.

"Brazen!" I heard Moe's voice and we turn around to see them. Dave and Tiffany walked away like they know each other and went to the bar room.

"It seems like they're getting along." I curiously smiled and looked at Moe. He crossed his arms over his chest while staring at them. When the door's finally closed, he looked back at me.

"They're much alike sometimes." Moe shrugged his shoulders and we went upstairs towards the terrace. We took a deep breath like we have finally had a fresh air. "She likes funny men, a joker, exquisite, and a great sense of humor."

"What? Isn't that one word excluding the exquisite word?" I chuckled and held on the concrete rail.

"A funny man, a joker, and a guy with a great sense of humor aren't the same, Brazen. A funny man is someone who is always cheerful and amusing. A joker is like a card in the games which makes him a wild card is someone who plays unexpectedly. You never noticed that he was there and you don't know if he's a fool or a solution. Lastly, he has a great sense of humor that he can make us laugh though unintentionally." He traces the bridge of his nose and rests his both hands on his waist.