Chapter 4 - At The Party

Dear Internet Diary,

      We arrive at the party, and the first thing I notice is how secluded this place is from the rest of society. The nearest neighbour is miles away, and thoughts of my past come swarming in again. Remembering Dr. Matthews breathing technique, I gradually start to calm down and get out of the car. When I reach Tania at the front of her car, she asks me if I'm alright. "Yeah! I'm alright," I say as my hands start to sweat a bit. 

      People crowd the entrance of the house, as Tania and I head inside to find Lucas. All these strangers surround us, yet while I make my discomfort noticeable, Tania looks right at home. Moments later, I hear Lucas yelling Tania's nickname from across the room. When I see him, I notice he's surrounded by a bunch of guys. I'm guessing they're his friends.

      Tania grabs my wrist and guides me to the group. I see there are three guys on the couch. One of the guys is wearing a dark blue hoodie with a pair of long khakis. I can't see his facial features since he's paying attention to his phone, but I see he has dark brown shaggy hair. Another one is wearing a black t-shirt and a pair of jeans. His blonde hair is cut close to the root, and I can tell he's a predator by the way he's looking at me. The third is wearing a pair of Adidas track pants with a white shirt. He has dirty blonde hair but is far too busy checking out the girls in the crowd to notice me.

      When I look back at Tania, I see she's sitting on Lucas's lap and has a big smile on her face. Just as Mr. Predator stands up from his seat, and clears his throat, he positions himself in front of me. His eyes start examining me and linger where my cleavage begins. His tongue slightly appears from behind his lips, as he licks them slowly and seductively.  Disgusted by his pervertedness, I scoff, but before I can say a word, an arm wraps around my waist. Inching towards my ear, I feel a warm breath hit my neck as a stranger whispers, "Just play along." His words send chills down my spine.

      As I turn to face the stranger, whose arm is wrapped around my waist, he tells the predator, "Back off Dylan. She's next on my list.

      I can't believe this guy has the face of a model and still has the nerve to say such a revolting thing to me. While I'm next to him. Next on his list! The nerve this douche has. "I've had my eye on her all night," the stranger says before turning to look me in the eye. His playful grin is evident as he speaks once more. "Isn't that right, sexy?

      Only after realizing what he's doing, do I start playing along with this devilishly handsome guy. I know I should tell him off right now, but my gut tells me the moment I do, this Dylan guy will be back on me. "Well, that all depends on what your definition of sexy is," I say before turning to look back at Dylan. Feeling bold enough to continue playing along, I turn and wrap my arms around the stranger's neck. I say, "If you're up to it, we can get out of here and have some fun."

      "Baby," he says soothingly, "are you sure you can handle it?

      "I can handle more than you think," I say daringly. The next thing I know is that whatever space remained between us, has now vanished. Without taking his eyes off me, he tells Dylan to stop staring and find someone else. For some crooked reason, my heart starts to palpitate faster than normal, as I stare into his dark brown eyes. A newfound warmth comes over me... and I...  actually like it.

      Oblivious to what's around us, I lose track of time. He tilts his head down a bit, grabs the base of my neck, and pulls me closer. I move forward with him. All train of thought is lost, and I close my eyes. This moment, right here, felt perfect. This moment just so happened to be the very moment that changed my life for the worse. But at the time, I never would have known.

      Before we could kiss someone pushes us apart. Looking up at the culprit, I see none other than my ex. Preston. He quickly turns on his alpha demeanor and starts to get in the guy's face. "What do you think you're doing with my girl, asshole? Did you think you were going to sleep with her? Is that?" Preston says.

      Pissed over the fact Preston ruined a moment and started trying to be the defensive boyfriend he never was, I push them apart. "What the heck, Preston?! What are you even doing here? You haven't been my boyfriend in over a year. Get over yourself," I say defending the nameless stranger. 

      "Oh come on Savannah. I know you miss me." Preston says as he tries to reach for me, but  I step away. "Stop playing hard to get, and come here already," he says once more with anger dripping from his words.  I step away once more and bump into the stranger's chest. He wraps his arms around me and wears a cool expression on his face. Preston's face is reddening by the second, and I anger him further by telling him to back off. "My name's Melody. Not Savannah." I say practically screaming. "So, just leave me alone already. I want you out of my life, Preston!" 

      At the feel of someone pulling me away from Preston by my waist, I notice the tears that are pouring out of my eyes. I see the crowd that has formed around us, but the tears keep coming as the thoughts of my past swallow me whole. 

Sincerely,

   Melody N. Ravenna

P.S. Yes, Savannah is my real name, but, for now, that's irrelevant.

Please vote.