Chapter 26 - Is This The End? (Part 1)

MATURE CONTENT AHEAD! VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED. Music is by Sia.

Dear Internet Diary,

        My dense eyelids open slowly and I see blurred movement in front of me. I try to rub my eyes, but feel something gripping my wrists. "Good. You're awake." the voice says, as its blurred figure walks towards me. I watch him tighten the chain on my wrist and then smile down at me. I blink several more times before taking in my surroundings, as the hazed lines become defined. I've woken up in a dingy lightroom, that's only illuminated by a lamp on the metal table and the moon. Panic starts to rise in me and I try to fight against my chains. I feel a strange pain come over me after trying to move my body. "I'm glad you missed this place so much." Mr. Blue informs me. I look at him with repugnance.

          Mr. Blue walks over to the metal table and opens his surgical kit. I watch as he drags his finger past each instrument until he stops at an empty slot. He grabs an instrument next to the gap, and turns. "Looks like I didn't pack our favourite tool, but we can make do. Can't we Miranda?" he says before walking towards me with a scalpel in hand. "How many times do I have to tell you, my name isn't Miranda," I say, but soon regret it after he slaps my cheek. He bends down in front of me, grabs my chin tightly, and speaks. "You're lying to me! STOP LYING TO ME MIRANDA!" he shouts into my face. I feel a tear slide down my face, and I speak once more. "I'm not your wife. I'm not Miranda.

           His features soften as he strokes my face with the scalpel, but then quickly turn cold when he speaks again. "In case you haven't noticed, you might want to treat the wound on your leg." Before I can question him, he stabs my thigh with the scalpel, and I cry out in pain. I wheeze as I try to glance at my legs, but feel his grip on my jaw tighten, and I look back at him. "Don't worry. I'll be back with our favourite instrument, Moonlight." He says while taking out the scalpel, before tossing my jaw relentlessly to the side, as he gets up.

          He walks to the metal table, puts the scalpel back in its slot, rolls the kit, and puts it under his arm

          He walks to the metal table, puts the scalpel back in its slot, rolls the kit, and puts it under his arm. He looks back at me and smiles. "Welcome back home Moonlight. It's good to have you back," he says before walking over to the door and exiting the room. Before closing the door, he says, "Remember, I'll lock the door AND the window's already been locked, this way you'll be safe and we can have all the fun we want.

         I wait a while after he leaves, before trying to plan my escape. I hate it when he calls me by his ex-wife's name and nickname. "Moonlight" or "Miranda". I honestly thought he'd forgotten about Miranda by now. It's been nearly 6 years since she left Mr. Blue for another man. The only reason I know this information is because sometimes he would my tape my mouth, and he would argue with me. He'd try to make me feel guilty about leaving him for another man, about him being good to me. Every night I spent in this cellar felt like my last. Some unlucky mornings he would come and teach me, "Miranda," a lesson, other times he'd say nothing and just hit me.

          Although the room is small, the metal table to my right still holds a lit lamp but is too far away from me. I look at my chains and try to pull. "It's of no use. They're not old like the old ones and the window is locked this time." I think to myself. I close my eyes and take in a breath. I open my eyes and look at my legs which are stretched out in front of me. They're cut with some blood spilling out of them, and faint bruise marks are making their way to the surface. I search the ground and see the exact same screw I used to get free last time lying on the ground near my feet. I try to lift my dense bleeding legs to reach it and barely manage to succeed. 

         I pick it up with my toes and return my foot to it's starting position. I take a couple of heavy breaths before moving my (bent at the knee) foot towards my face. I stretch my neck to meet my toes and grab the screw with my teeth. Once I grabbed it, my leg is stretched out in front of me again, and I take another breathing break. I slowly slide up against the wall, trying to ignore the pain I feel, and try to break the chain on my wrist, as I move the screw against the metal.

        After a few failed and frustrating attempts of trying to free my right wrist, I succeed. "Now, on to the other wrist." I think, but thankfully, finish quickly and manage to be set free of my restraints. I walk limping to the table and reach for the window. "Damn it." I curse aloud. "He actually locked the window," I say, but hastily freeze, when I hear paced footsteps move from the wooden ceiling floor. I dare not breathe a word or move until the sound is gone. I look around the cellar and decide the lamp is my best bet on fighting Mr. Blue when he returns. 

         The moment I touch the lamp, I hear rushed footsteps heading my way, and I yank the lamp from the table. I walk to the side of the door and wait for Mr. Blue to enter through the door. I hear the locks being unlocked when I position myself and try to control my breathing. The second after I see the door open, I swing the lamp as hard as I can and hear a grunting sound come from someone other than Mr. Blue. I look down and see Jace catching his breath. "What are you doing here?" I quietly yell at him. "I came here to get you," he says while looking at me with that big toothy smile of his. "Why wouldn't I come to save you?" He says as he starts to get up, but then stops abruptly when he notices the condition my legs are in. "What did he do to you?" he asks me with a clenched jaw, but I dismiss the question.

       "You know I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm too busy trying to escape!" I say and bring him back to our current situation. "Right. My car's not far from here. Let's go." Jace says as he guides me out of the house's cellar, through the kitchen, and outside of the house. I look around me and see that there are fewer trees than the last time I was here, meaning he was prepared for me to run. I spot Jace's car a few yards away, and he helps me get there quickly.

        Once we're inside the car, he tries to start the engine, but nothing happens. The engine doesn't come to life, and he keeps trying to start his car. The moment I see a blue and yellow figure move towards Jace's side of the car, I tap Jace and freeze when I recognize who it is. Jenny stops in front of Jace's car window and bends down. I remain frozen when I notice it's none other than, Jenny waving a black wire in her hand, while a big smile is on her face. "Need these to start your car?" she asks us mockingly. She pulls out a gun from her blue jacket, straightens herself back up, takes a few steps away from the car, and speaks. "Get out of the car. Now." Jace opens the door and steps out first. "That goes for the both of you," she says to me, and I follow suit.

Sincerely,

Melody N. Ravenna