Chapter 19 - Still Alive

Dear Internet Diary,

        My eyelids felt heavy as I tried to open them. I flutter them a bit before seeing a blinding white light headed my way and faint from all the pressure in my head.

        I wake up on the back of an ambulance. A man is hovering over me while he moves his mouth. I can't hear a word he says. I assume he asked me if I could hear him since he stopped flashing the light in my eye when I nodded. His mouth kept moving every now and then until I finally started to hear him. A few minutes later, I was being carried inside a hospital and check into the E.R. 

        Doctors rushed on over to me. My doctor cleaned me up and treated my wounds as she checked my pulse, temperature, hearing, and ran some more test. My doctor was worried I might have a concussion, so she ordered an X-Ray of my head. When the results came back, my skull was fine. I just had small bruises on my temporal and parietal lobes from being struck so hard. 

        "You're lucky to be alive," she tells me. "You should be dead right now, you know? I still don't understand how you survived such a heavy crash with minimal injury." I bit my lip softly, as I nod my head. "I should be dead right now? Wha- How? Why?" I ponder internally as she keeps talking. She hands me a prescription, and I look back up at her. "Get some sleep. Take it easy for the next few days, and take the medicine whenever the pain becomes overbearing. Otherwise, you can just take Ibuprofen." she said while looking me intently in the eye. "When you're ready, an officer would like to ask you a few questions about the crash," she says and I nod my head. "They can come now if they want," I respond.

        She begins to walk away, and I call out to her. She turns around and comes back to me. "Yes?" she asks in a polite tone. "Umm. Where do I pay my medical bill?" She looks at me for a second before saying, "It's already been taken care of by your fiancee." I pretend to know what she's talking about and nod my head in agreement. She leaves once more and gets the police. 

        While she gets them, I look around the room and notice that there aren't many patients in the E.R. I see a little boy who has dried tears on his face, while his mother tries to soothe him. He looks pretty normal, up until you see the big purple bruise on his arm. "He might have a greenstick fracture," I think while referencing the Anatomy & Physiology course I took senior year.

        I see a few more people on beds, but none of them really peak my interest. The officers come my way and ask me a "few questions" as they say. The questions never seemed to end. I start repeating their questions in my mind, as exhale deeply. "Why did you think that? Can you be more specific? What do you think happened? Are you sure you don't know anyone who would want to harm either of you?"

        When they were finally done asking me questions, Jace came up to me and walked me outside. He had a few scrapes and cuts on his face, but since almost his entire body was covered by clothing, I couldn't see the extensive damage of the accident. I saw a black SUV and Jace helped me get inside. Jace asked me if I wanted to be alone in the back, and I told him I did. I still couldn't believe we have a chauffeur sitting in the driver seat, driving us back to school. It was a short ride, meaning the hospital couldn't be more than half an hour away. When we reached our university, I stepped out of the car and Jace followed. He told me the car was sent to him by his Dad, as the driver left our university.

        I didn't bother asking why his father would spend all this money on us or who my fiancee was. I just wanted to get to bed. 

        During our walk to my flat, I could see minute rays of sunlight coming from the distance. I knew we'd been up for a while, but I didn't think it'd be early morning. When we reached the back door of my residence hall, Jace started to apologize once more. I interrupted him before he could go on. "Don't be sorry when you tried your best," I say before giving him an awkward and uncomfortable hug, and heading inside. 

        "You're not the one who needs to be sorry Jace. I am." I say before opening my flat's door. 

Sincerely,

        Melody N. Ravenna