14. Hands Of Sins

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

The next day when history class ended, I was on my way out with Skylar when Mr Louis stopped me.

"Elliot? Could I have a minute?" He asked, politely.

I turned around and met his kind dark brown eyes. When Skylar left the classroom and it was only me and him left in the room, he leaned his weight on his desk while offering me a soft smile.

He was tall and lean with coconut brown hair and a smooth jaw line. The white buttoned shirt fitted me him perfectly and is in contrast to his black jeans. He seemed to be around 30 years old, probably a day or two older than mom.

"I was just wondering how Rachel is doing?" His question didn't surprise me.

I had noticed he didn't treat Rachel the way the rest of the teachers did. Whenever she walked into the classroom, all the teachers acted as if she was invisible. However, Mr Louis offered her a big, cheerful smile every history class.

"She's doing okay I guess," I replied.

"Okay as in very okay or just okay?" He questioned, his expression slightly amused.

I shrugged. "Just okay."

His smile widened. "She's a tricky one isn't she?"

"It's not that she's tricky. She's just so...hopeless. It's so hard to lift her motivation in studies when her mind is just plain depressed and angry," I responded, sighing.

"Well, I don't know much about depression, or more specifically Rachel's depression, but I know everyone has something to live for. Maybe you just have to help Rachel find what she wants to live for," he suggested.

I knew I would never understand Rachel's depression. Only people who were or had been depressed knew and understood depression. However, I still had this hope within me to increase her motivation in studies. Just like the motivation she had when she was the brightest student in every subject with straight A's. I was sure she missed that feeling of proudness of herself and the proudness others felt for her. Somehow, I wanted to bring back that proudness.

"Yeah, I guess so. Thank you," I said, offering a smile of my own.

"So which subject is she doing good in and which one does she have zero motivation in?" He asked, the slightest of an amused smile lingering on his face.

"She's doing okay in all the subjects, but she doesn't seem to be making any progress in history," I informed.

I felt like I just disappointed Mr Louis, but he didn't react in any specific way. Instead, he simply nodded.