11

"Thanks for your help today, Kelly

"Thanks for your help today, Kelly."

I collect the rest of the foam lined coloring pages and hand them to Mrs. Rolland as she peered over her bifocals smiling at me.

"The children just love these. It makes coloring for them such a joy," She continues and takes them from me with a kind smile gracing her features.

"I'll see you next week." I give a little wave and begin to make my way out of the children's area at the clinic for the visually impaired. I've been coming to Greensboro since Nate's accident and dedicating my time volunteering every Wednesday after cheer practice. I told everyone I needed the hours for Dartmouth, but the truth is, it eased my guilty conscience knowing that I was making children without sight smile. Plus, I enjoyed it. I like coming here every week to play and color with the kids.

I grab my light jacket and push open the atrium doors. As I am walking down the concrete front stairs, my eyes glue onto the sight dogs training in the lawn. There is something magical about the way an animal can be so loyal that they could be the eyes for their best friend.

A whistle blows and I stop completely. Standing in the front row, towering over everyone else, is no other than Nathaniel. Next to him is the yellow lab, standing at attention at his feet.

My stomach erupts with butterflies but not in the way that I was becoming used to. I am still mad at myself for leaving Nate by himself at the diner. I know I told myself that I did it to protect him but really, I did it to protect myself.

I'm guessing Alyssa opened her big mouth to Danny about me sneaking off to Nate's the night of the party because he hasn't spoken to me since. Maybe this would be a good time to officially end things.

I don't realize I am pulling a deer in headlights look until the whistle blows again and I jump out of my skin. Shaking my head at myself, I turn to walk towards my car. I stop again once I am to my blue convertible and I can't help but look back to the grass. Except when I look back, Nate is gone. Instead he is strolling towards me with his dog back on it's leash. But he isn't purposely coming towards me. He rounds the curb before he runs into me.

I hold my breath until he passes. Wow, that was a close one. I turn and put my keys into the door to unlock it and finally go home after a long day.

"Ms. Henderson! Kelly! Wait!"

I squeeze my eyes shut and repress the urge to cry out. I was so close. I reluctantly pivot back around to see Mrs. Rolland gliding down the steps with my purse in hand, her tightly curled hair flopping in the light breeze.

It didn't go unnoticed that Nate has stopped as well. He has turned towards me with a confused look on his face. His dog looks up at him as if he is crazy to have stopped. I have to agree.

"You forgot your purse at the children's table, dear. I'm so lucky to have caught you before you left! That would have been an extra hour added onto your travel if you had to have come back." She is too nice in a young grandma who bakes you chocolate chip cookies and tells you how pretty you are way. Too bad I want to melt into the ground and take her with me.