Chapter 36

Gary and Simon had caught the first flight they could find from Seattle to Chattanooga. There were no direct flights available, so the one they caught had a layover in Charlotte, North Carolina. Gary repeatedly called Natalie’s cell phone while he was waiting to board, but kept getting her voicemail message. Except for announcing that he had called, Gary was reluctant to leave a detailed message, for fear of alarming anyone seated nearby who might overhear. There was no sense in causing a panic now. There would be plenty of time for that if they failed. As the gate attendant called his group to line up for boarding, Gary left one last message on Natalie’s voicemail. “Hi Natalie, it’s Gary again. I’m heading to Chattanooga with an old acquaintance. He’s going to help us do some clean-up work from our last project. We should be in Charlotte in about six hours. We’ll be there for a couple of hours before our connection to Chattanooga takes off. Look, it’s really important that we talk. I’ll try calling you again when we land.”

The flight from Seattle to Chattanooga was uneventful. Simon and Gary spoke for a short time, but only in hushed tones, and they stayed clear of the topic that was most pressing in both their minds. Tiring of the forced conversation quickly, both men decided they should sleep while they could. There was no telling when they might have the opportunity again.

They were awakened by an announcement over the plane’s PA system.

“This is your Captain speaking. We are on our final approach to Charlotte Douglas International Airport. The local time is 5:37 PM. It’s seventy-two degrees in Charlotte at this time, with a light breeze coming in from the east. If this is your final destination, we thank you for choosing Delta.

“For those of you connecting to Chattanooga, I just received word that the connecting flight has been canceled. At this time we do not have any further information, but I have been told that hotel vouchers will be provided.

“I have been asked to instruct you to please form a single line on the far right side of the gate counter as soon as you arrive at Gate 28. A dedicated attendant will be there to give you your voucher and provide further information for checking on the rescheduling of the connecting flight.

“Please be sure to get your vouchers before going to the baggage claim area to collect any bags you may have checked through to Chattanooga. You will not be able to return to the Gate after leaving the security area.

“On behalf of Delta Airlines, I apologize for the inconvenience.”

Gary and Simon exchanged glances, and decided to head straight for the rental cars as soon as they got off the plane. They had no intention of staying in Charlotte overnight, and they wanted to get a car while some were still available.

Gary turned to Simon and asked, “Did you notice the flight status boards on our way over here?”

“If you’re talking about all the flights to Chattanooga being canceled, then yes. If you meant that there weren’t any flights listed to Atlanta at all, I noticed that too.”

“Yeah.” Gary also noted there were no flights to Atlanta listed.

Simon turned to Gary “Listen, I’ll get the rental car. Why don’t you grab our things and wait for me at baggage claim?”

“Right. I’ll see you in a few.” Gary peeled off, and headed to the baggage claim area.

☣ ☣ ☣

After loading their bags into the trunk of the rental car, Gary climbed into the passenger seat and turned on the radio catching the middle of a news flash. “... received word that large numbers of people have been checking-in to hospitals in Chattanooga with symptoms similar to those seen in Atlanta. The CDC is advising everyone that if they do not absolutely have to visit either of those cities, they should avoid them, and if you have visited in the last five to ten days, get yourself to a hospital immediately to be checked. Remember, the symptoms include....”

“When did you say the virus was taken from my lab?” Gary turned off the radio, and directed his attention to Simon.

“It was just a few days ago. Why?” Simon didn’t take his eyes off the road, as he merged onto the westbound lane of Highway 74.

“I’m trying to determine the incubation period, and maybe get a sense of how quickly it becomes contagious. So far, the most recent data was from the outbreak in Uganda. I need to get a sense of how much and in what way this one has mutated.”

“You want to know if your virus is behaving as planned, you mean.” Simon muttered under his breath. He felt a strong twinge of guilt as he said it, knowing that Gary had only good intentions when he created the virus, and that it was he who was the more culpable of the two.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing. Sorry. I’m tired. Crap is coming out of my mouth, so I’m just going to shut up for a while.” Then turning to Gary, he suggested “Maybe you can get Natalie on the phone,” before falling silent again for the next two hundred miles.

Gary was awakened by the car pulling into a truck stop. “Where are we? What time is it?”

“We’re near Cherokee, about two and a half hours from Chattanooga. It’s 9:40.” Simon said, glancing at his Rolex Milgauss.

“You’ve been driving all this time? You should have awakened me to take a shift.”

“You can drive after we fill up.” Simon pulled out the map he got from the woman at the car rental counter, and pointed out the route they had been traveling. Gary figured they were almost two-thirds of the way to Chattanooga.

“I’ll fill up, if you want to go stretch your legs.”

“Thanks. I’m going to grab some snacks, and then go wash up a bit,” gesturing toward the gas station restroom.

Gary swiped his credit card to activate the pump, and started filling the tank with gas, as Simon went around to the side of the station. When the tank was full, Gary replaced the gas cap, and got in the driver’s seat to wait for Simon, who returned only moments later. Gary belted himself behind the steering wheel and adjusted the seat and mirrors. As he pulled out of the truck stop, he commented to Simon, “Looks like we’re leaving just in time; those storm clouds are breaking.”