Chapter 1 - The Poacher

• Dedicated to Dawn White

Quietly she crept into position in the underbrush. Inch by inch, easing closer and closer to her goal, taking care not to create any disturbance that might alert her prey. She tested each carefully placed step before setting her weight down. Knowing, even though they may be engrossed in their own activities, the slightest sound or movement that seemed out of the ordinary would cause alarm. The surroundings were filled with a chorus, mostly from the many birds that abounded in the jungle; she recognized the songs of several of the abundant species of larks, thrushes, and warblers serenading from the dark jungle canopy above. Mist swirled through the moss covered vines, while moisture gathered on the layers of fallen leaves adding to a mugginess that bordered on the oppressive.

Not wanting to lose the element of surprise and risk wasting all those days of careful planning, she made her way through a dense forested part of the park, toward a large clearing she previously located on the map. It was known to be home to a particularly large family of chimpanzees.

She heard her quarry long before seeing them, and took advantage of the chattering to home in on the first target. Her eyes were still adjusting from being in the dark jungle for so long. Listening closely to the noises the chimps were making, she realized that in addition to the typical chattering sounds of routine chimpanzee behavior, there were also soothing, cooing sounds, like mothers would make to calm their sick children.

Over a thousand Euros a pound for the meat; those Europeans are crazy! Still, it lets me pay my bills, and puts food on my table, so who am I to judge? She shook her head in quiet resignation and slowly reassembled the rifle she had smuggled into the Park. It had taken quite a number of days to get all the pieces in without being noticed. First the stock, then the butt. A trigger assembly....

Finally the rifled barrel, which she dared not leave exposed to the elements for any length of time for fear that any resulting oxidation would reduce the range and accuracy she had come to expect from her tool of choice. She lovingly fitted together the two blued steel segments she had hidden under baggy cargo pants, one strapped to each thigh.

She brought the carbon fiber stock up to her shoulder and took aim at one of the closer chimps. He was a large, imposing specimen, but not the dominant male. She knew this because he was by himself, a bit away from the others, but mainly because he was not near any of the females.

Shifting her weight just a bit to steady herself, a twig lodged partly under her boot snapped. Suddenly the cooing became screaming, cursing, shrieks, all directed at her. She quickly squeezed the trigger, nearly missing her shot, as a piece of half-eaten fruit hit her in the face. These chimps were attacking her! I can't leave my kill here. I have to get it home, but they're starting to come down from the trees. She knew she had to get away before they descended and engaged her directly. She would have no chance if that happened; they were much stronger and faster than she was - it was a fight she would not win. She remembered what had happened to that other poacher who had gotten too close to a chimpanzee family group, and shuddered. Barely able to see, she beat a hasty retreat while being pelted by fruit, grimacing as she wiped fruit juice from her stinging eyes. I'll come back later to gather my prize.