Chapter 23 : Stronger ties of fate

Special thanks to @aurora_valentina and @shreya1234chaudhary for reading and voting

A/N: If you don't remember who Albela &Mustafa are then you should read CHAPTER 19.

Salim's funeral was a quickly done and Ada remembered the coronation process, also, that Diya was sent off to Desert Lands for pursuing education, when in reality, it was because she had started asking where Salim was and started to miss him. She couldn't tell her that he was dead so she sent her away from all the things that reminded her of him. After that everything was a blur, Jellal had wed a princess. The harem favoured her, the princess. Teasing her and fighting with her was fun, it made Ada forget momentarily. Apart from that she consumed too much wine to cope with it. She remembered stumbling and caught a pillar. She missed him and she wanted to reach his chambers. Being an Empress, she barred the chambers for outsiders. Not one thing of his was moved from its place. She refused to believe that he was dead. She believed that he would come back and her heart clenched when she knew he wouldn't. She tripped on her skirt and almost fell.

She was caught by someone as they balanced her. Raising her heavy head, she squinted to look at the person. Under the moonlight, a flash of green glinted and she whimpered. "Salim?" She caressed the person's cheek. The person grunted and gripped her shoulders. "Salim! Where did you go?!" She pressed her nose against their armour and cried.

The person stiffened but still kept their hold, "I'm not Salim." He had muttered.

She shook her head refusing to believe it. "No." She whimpered. "Salim..." She felt his arms below his knees and her legs being lifted off the ground. She let her nose rest on the nook of his and relaxed as sleep over washed her.

***

"Shit."

That's the first thing that came to her mind as she found woke up.

"Shit. Horse shit."

There was a man beside her who was definitely not Jellal.

How did she know it wasn't Jellal? Because Jellal was standing right in front of her, fully dressed and glaring at her.

"Ada!" His voice boomed loudly around the chambers. That was enough to wake up the sleeping beauty in her bed and as he look at her and at Jellal, a panicked look washed over his face and he quickly ran away, fearing for his life.

"It's not what you think." She said. She was sure, nothing had happened last night. Or maybe it had. But she was in no mood to tolerate Jellal in that moment.

"What were you thinking, Ada?!" He screeched.

That's the thing. I was too drunk to think. And as a husband you never checked on me knowing how much Salim meant me! She wanted to say it out loud but decided otherwise. She was sure there was another reason behind his anger. She meant nothing to him. He shouldn't even have batted an eyelash. And then it struck her. It was not her, it was the new begum.