Ch. 11, Pebbles Against a Window

As soon as Star got home, she played with the twins to distract herself from the inevitable. She knew she had to explain everything to Marco, lest he reveal what he already knew or bother her for the rest of eternity and make her life living hell, not to mention even if she wanted to she couldn't return home because if she wasn't there Marco would most definitely reveal her secret.

Sighing, Star picked up a squirming Janey and played with her hair, the energetic little girl bounced excitedly in Star's lap and a little spark of happiness burst in her heart.

Pulling Janey closer, Star hugged her gently while the 6 year old returned her gesture, wrapping her tiny arms around Star's torso and giggling happily into her neck.

Smiling softly, Star reached for Michelle, who respectfully wiped her hair out of her face before ungracefully flinging herself onto the couch and squeezing her foster sister.

The three girls sat like this for awhile, smiling and giggling until Michelle heartily announced she had to use the potty, Janey fell off the couch in a fit of giggles and Star had to calm both of them down until Jan entered the room and escorted Michelle to the bathroom while Janey dashed off to find her favorite doll.

Sighing, Star rubbed her arms thoughtfully. The presence of the little twins had brought her comfort and restored a sense of hope to her, but it still wasn't enough to take her mind off Marco.

She couldn't believe she had let something so important slip so badly, and now she had to confront the intolerable senior who had made her life equally exciting and frustrating since her first day of school. Not to mention she had to do more then talk to him, she had to tell him everything about her home life, the one thing on this earth that felt like it was truly all hers, brought a smile to her face and lit up her dreams at night...would now be Marco's as well.

Taking another deep breath, Star brushed off her skirt and headed up to her room, hoping to busy herself with homework and maybe some reading.

Upon reaching her bedroom Star slipped into some sweatpants, a baggy T and fuzzy socks, throwing her hair up into a messy bun Star carefully hung up her dress and glanced herself in the mirror.

She really, truly had adapted the traits of earthlings. If Star could see herself now a few months ago, she most likely would have risen a skeptical eyebrow, scoffed at the girl before her and carried on with her day. Sweatpants and 'baggy T's' weren't exactly acceptable attire for royalty...or even available on Mewni. Women generally wore dresses on her home dimension and when they wore pants they were nothing like sweatpants, and she was pretty sure 't-shirts' on Mewni were simple, light-colored undergarments.

Attire on earth, amongst other things, was much different from what Star was accustomed to back home. Though, she couldn't deny the comfort of the soft sweatpants and extremely cozy fuzzy socks she wore now were much better than the stiff dresses she was forced to wear to social events on Mewni.

Clearing her mind, Star pulled her homework from her backpack and set to work, checking her notes constantly as the sun gradually made its way towards the horizon.

That night, Star dozed off on her bed with a book in her hand and her sweatpant-clad legs pulled up to her stomach. Her dreams laced with Mewni memories and oddly enough...dancing pandas.

Despite the dancing pandas, Star felt truly happy immersed in her dreams.

That's why it came to her great discomfort to be awoken by a loud tap on her window.

Startling awake, Star checked the clock to discover it was one in the morning.

Stretching irritably, Star settled back in, ready to fall back to sleep when another loud tap echoed from her window.