Ch. 4, Party #1

Saturday morning arrived sunny and bright. Star awoke groggily to the sound of birds and the sun streaming through the blinds and into her eyes.

Rolling over to avoid the sun, Star blinked her eyes open and tried her best to wake herself up.

Her day flew by until around lunchtime when Jackie stopped by.

"You almost ready for the party?" Jackie asked, sitting cross legged on the floor whilst tinkering with Star's decorative dresser knobs.

Jackie was wearing a tight white t-shirt, a seashell necklace, cut off jeans and a sparkly blue barrette in her hair. She had done her makeup carefully that morning and had a perfect smoky eye.

Star self-consciously twirled her finger around her messy ponytail.

"Obviously not," she replied sheepishly, gesturing to her purple nightgown.

Jackie glanced up at Star and smiled.

"Can I please pick out your outfit?" Jackie got to her feet and excitedly swung open Star's closet.

"...I guess," Star replied, Jackie already rummaging through her dresses

"What about this one?" Jackie suggested, pulling out a pink feathery dress that Star could've sworn her mother snuck into her luggage while she was packing.

Star grimaced and shook her head, taking Jackie's spot on the floor.

"I like this one!" Jackie exclaimed, pulling out a second dress while tossing the first one onto the bed.

"Eh," Star shrugged.

"Hmmm," Jackie shuffled through the remaining dresses.

"Do I have to wear a dress though?" Star asked warily.

"Of course not! I just figured dresses were your style!" Jackie closed the closet and opened up her dresser.

"Star..." Jackie murmured.

"Yeah?" Star asked worriedly.

"You dress like a pilgrim," Jackie laughed, clearly not impressed by Star's casual attire.

Star blushed and joined Jackie's side.

"I know," Star muttered in defeat, drawing another laugh from Jackie.

"Tell you what, tomorrow we'll go shopping for you, but for now give me a shirt and some jeans you hate or just never wear," Jackie fell back onto Star's bed with arms crossed and waited.

Star pulled out a plain black t-shirt and a pair of high-wasted, ripped jeans she never wore and tossed them to Jackie, who then requested a pair of scissors, a needle and black thread.

Curious, Star fetched the materials and placed them on Jackie's lap.

An hour later Jackie held up a short black T and a pair of shorts.

The cut-off remnants of the clothes were scattered across the room but Jackie smiled proudly, beads of sweat trickling down her forehead.

Star smiled faintly but she didn't know what to think of the new outfit.

She tried it on and discovered Jackie had fashioned her a crop-top, which made Star squirm with anxiety. She didn't much like the idea of her stomach being exposed to the whole world.

"Jackie these are great but I..." Star poked her exposed tummy awkwardly.

Jackie laughed.

"Here," she removed a long-sleeved plaid shirt from Star's dresser and tied it around the exposed area.