※ 4 ※

"You've got to be kidding me," I mumble under my breath. Daniel, dressed in black cargo pants and a burgandy shirt, flashes a friendly grin at my mother.

"Hi, Danny," my mother says. I grit my teeth. I want so badly to jump Daniel again, but that wouldn't exactly go unnoticed by my mother. Then I realize something.

"Wait, you know him?" I ask my mom. I look to Daniel who's gloating more than he should be.

"Yeah, honey, he's here to help you get acquainted around the base camp," Mom says, unfazed.

My brothers snicker into their cards. I shoot them glares, but they ignore me.

I turn back to Mom, and I glare at Daniel, too, while I'm at it. "This is unbelievable," I mumble to myself.

My mom disregards my remark. "Why don't you show Ashley around, Dan. You said you met her already, right?"

Daniel nods politely, camouflaging his underlying arrogance. "Of course, Mrs. Cummins." He turns to me, the tone of his voice sugar-coated in a way only I would recognize. "Ashley, would you like to take a tour with me?"

My brothers snort, which catches Daniel's attention. I grit my teeth again, standing and kicking Matt in the back. He whines in protest to Mom, but she refrains from scolding me because of Daniel.

Mom shushes Matt as I aim another glare at Daniel's smirk. "Sure, Daniel. I would love to take a walk with you. Just try not to assault me this time," I say with a small laugh. "I actually though I was dead when I woke up in the hospital."

My mom's jaw drops open as I lead an awe-struck Daniel through the doors from which he came. I know Mom wants me to explain, but I have a better idea.

As soon the doors close behind us, my body attacks. A deep exhale and a clenched fist. I swing at Daniel's face. Hard.

"Ow, what the hell?" Daniel says on the verge of laughter as he rubs his cheek. I try to shove him and his dumb smirk against the wall, but he stumbles only a few steps. I switch to yelling instead of physical force.

"What is wrong with you? First you beat me and then you expect me to be your friend? What don't you get about staying away from my family?" My voice echoes through the nearly-empty hospital hallway. "And why does my mom like you so much?"

Daniel, as I expected, grabs my wrists and slams my back against the white wall, breathing right in my face. "Will you just calm down? You just don't understand, do you? My dad's the general for all the Renegades here. He assigned me to watch over you, so I will."

I strain against his iron grip, then just huff a few times. "I don't want your help, Daniel, and will you stop calling me by your stupid little pet names? I'm going to blow my brains out if you don't stop being so annoying, Romeo."

Daniel laughs tauntingly. "I'd love to see that, Juliette."

I sigh, then knee him in the chest and twist around his grip, which frees me. I massage my wrists. "Why do you hate me so much?"

Daniel expression falls blank, and without a word, he stomps down the hall. Over his shoulder, he says, "Are you coming or not?"

I roll my eyes and follow him. Daniel leads me down a gazillion hallways, telling me every detail of the hospital. I'm surprised that he spends that much time not yelling at me, but that doesn't stop him from using the annoying pet names.

Daniel leads me outside, sticky humidity washing over us. I hungrily inhale a breath of salt water air. I haven't been near an ocean since I was little.