Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Octavian punched the wall. He had been awake for a few minutes now, and we had explained everything to him. I figured that since there was a very big chance that we were all going to be killed, it wouldn't really matter if Emma's room had a hole in the drywall.

"That doesn't explain why my powers are gone too," Octavian said. "I get how Dylan overloaded like Tenya did or whatever, but I definitely didn't overload."

"But you were almost dead," Emma said. "Your body probably used the energy from your powers as a last-ditch effort to save yourself."

"I thought it was your job to keep us safe," Octavian said to her. "Looks like you did a great job."

Emma's jaw dropped. "You're alive, aren't you? Because of me."

"But I don't have powers, and Alyssa is dead, so I would hardly consider that a win."

"I never said it was a win. I said that you're alive. Be thankful for what you can get."

"Be thankful? Do you even hear yourself?"

Emma threw her hands up. "Do you see what's going on? Yes, you are lucky that you are alive because not everyone is. I can't save everyone, but remember that you didn't save Alyssa either."

"Hey!" I shouted. Both of them looked at me. "Stop it right now. We have to think of a plan."

"A plan for what? Burning down the arena didn't work, mostly because we can't get to the arena in one piece," Octavian said. "At this point, he's probably a few drops of power away from getting free."

"I know," I replied. "Once we can get back to everyone else, we will regroup and make a new plan."

"But what is our goal?" Octavian asked. "We can't destroy the guy, and we can't get out either. Is the plan to just kill everyone that way he can't get enough power to escape?"

"We can't make any decisions on our own," Emma added. "I know you're in charge, Nile, but we need everyone's input because it's not just about you and some silly little rivalries anymore."

"Ok," I agreed. "We'll head back now, and then make a plan."

We gathered our things, and decided to leave Alyssa in the room. Then we left.

"Do you think we're going to make it back?" Emma asked.

I turned and looked at her. "Why would you ask that?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. Whenever Alyssa got into trouble she would count on you. I guess I'm doing the same thing."

"We have to pick up the speed," Octavian said. "I think there's someone coming behind us."

I held up my hand and picked up the air patterns of the area. "He's right. Emma, you go first. Octavian, behind her, and then you, Dylan. I'll keep the rear and take care of whoever it is."

We quickly moved into a line and took off at a fast jog towards the stairs. I could now hear the footsteps behind us. Our follower turned the corner and I discovered it was Elliot, one of the 2s. He was one of the trainees that I allowed to use my gym. I made a good choice by making everyone clear out.

Elliot has super strength. He was the reason we had to keep getting more weights. Almost every time I saw him, he was asking for a different piece of equipment because he kept maxing out with what we had. Of course, I helped him and got him what he needed. Elliot was not a fan of fighting at all, but I guess once you're a Searcher, you don't care what you thought before.